The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Girodisc Brake upgrade:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girodisc Brake Rotor / SS line / Brake pad package:

14" Front Rotor weights:
Stock 25lbs each
Girodisc 20lbs

Rear Rotors:
Stock 13.5lbs each
Girodisc 9.5lbs each

Total weight reduction of 18lbs with increased brake efficiency due to the curved vane design and floating rotor system.

I opted to install their 'Magic' brake pads as well due to the very low dusting and noise. They say these pads are equivalent to stock as far as stopping power, but I noticed significantly better performance so far.

The SS brake lines came with brackets and new banjo bolts, but unfortunately the thread pitch of the included bolts were wrong, so I re-used the stock bolts. (Note rear stock bolts had to be shortened or they hit the piston inside caliper) Girodisc is aware of the bolt issue and will have that remedied in future kits.

I am very pleased with the quality of these rotors as they are factory balanced and precision machined at Girodisc with a runout of .0006-.0008".

I also swapped out the DOT4 Castrol brake fluid for Tilton TSR-1 fluid (622 boiling point).

IMG_0283.png
IMG_0284.png

Very Nice. I was looking at the Bears but I want to find out if they are floaters. Since yours are floaters I may have to look into these as well. Thanks for the info.

I'll try a set of those rears to cut another 8 lbs after I burn through the current set of DBA 4000s and the extra set I just had cryoed.....could be a while though since the rears don't take that much abuse.....better schedule more track days :D

Looks good. Are you heading out to TH again? ;)

While I'm not sure if I'll purchase two piece rotors for the rear I'm going to for the fronts and will be ready for the upgrade by Fall. I'm also going to install SS brake lines along with the JHR clutch line at the same time. Any brake squeal with those pads?

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks good. Are you heading out to TH again? ;)

While I'm not sure if I'll purchase two piece rotors for the rear I'm going to for the fronts and will be ready for the upgrade by Fall. I'm also going to install SS brake lines along with the JHR clutch line at the same time. Any brake squeal with those pads?

Very quiet after one bed-in procedure. Girodisc said 2 may be necessary but I haven't needed to yet. (barely drove the car since install due to vacation)

TMO Supporting Vendors