The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Girodisc versus OEM non-drilled rotors and track pad options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
OK trackers. I need to replace the OEM front rotors on my 350. Like many, I am getting micro cracks at the "marketing holes" on the front rotors. OP offers the OEM flat rotors, not cross-drilled for $750/pair. The GiroDisc rotors are $1,100/pair. Plan is to replace both front and rear. I'm going to be trailering so plan to go to a pure track set up for brakes. Give me plus and minus for the two rotor options. Looking for performance, not worried about aesthetics for the track. I'm thinking the G LOC R16 pad. Front for sure, do I choose a less aggressive rear pad? what has worked for y'all? Also, thought on upgrading to braided brake lines. Anywhere I can save a few bucks means more seat time! Thanks for the feedback.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have the stock rotors 2019 version no holes. They work great. I have also run Girodisc rotors on my Boss, they work great and last longer than others.
Where the girodisc rotors are a big advantage is in rebuilding. For a few dollars more over stock rotors, $50.00 I believe, you can re-ring the Girodisc rotors.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am a huge fan of the Girodisc Rotors and knowing the guys who own and run their business one of the huge plusses they don't talk enough about , in my estimation, is the fact that they only use US Steel. When the Tariffs hit many well known brake rotor companies were scrambling to get steel, as their supplier was affected , while Girodisc sat there fat , dumb and happy with only the tightly controlled steel of the US Industry. As TMS mentioned once purchased they can be redone with new rings at a reasonable price. I see an advantage with them in how they last ,but as a very aggressive brake applier, they seem to show signs of wear later for me.

Additional note, regardless of what you get , do not buy drilled rotors , only get ones that are slotted. Drilled looks pretty, but you are a Mustang Maniac Trackraticus not a poseur, so get what works not what will impress your pretty boy/girl cosmetic cutesy clowns, ha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I am a huge fan of the Girodisc Rotors and knowing the guys who own and run their business one of the huge plusses they don't talk enough about , in my estimation, is the fact that they only use US Steel. When the Tariffs hit many well known brake rotor companies were scrambling to get steel, as their supplier was affected , while Girodisc sat there fat , dumb and happy with only the tightly controlled steel of the US Industry. As TMS mentioned once purchased they can be redone with new rings at a reasonable price. I see an advantage with them in how they last ,but as a very aggressive brake applier, they seem to show signs of wear later for me.

Additional note, regardless of what you get , do not buy drilled rotors , only get ones that are slotted. Drilled looks pretty, but you are a Mustang Maniac Trackraticus not a poseur, so get what works not what will impress your pretty boy/girl cosmetic cutesy clowns, ha.
Thanks Bill. Yeah, I like the US steel aspect, read that while doing research. American made is a priority to this vet! Rather go fast than look pretty! (Or stop fast in this case...) haha

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
American Steel is also a plus that it is considered to be of higher quality due to strict regulations and we have all heard of questionable steel products from overseas on numerous things from car panels to building structural issues. Appreciate your sacrifice and service and it is nice to know you may be helping another worker in the US of A.

I run Girodisc fronts/ OEM solid rears ( because Girodisc didn't make rears to fit GT350 for a while )
The math works out in favor of initial bigger cash outlay for the Girodisc fronts eventually, since you track your car. Money well spent. Even if you have a garage queen, they are beautiful and well made parts.

I found them less "pad aggressive" than the stock bullshit holy cheese-graders my 2016 and 2018 came with. I replaced the rears on my 2018 w/ 2019 solid discs before ever running it on track; kept as spares in case.
I stepped up to a bit more aggressive pad ,and also brake more aggressively w/ Girodisc's on the front; I know real track rodents run more macho pads, but I street drive my rig without flipping pads. I am using G-Loc R-12 front and R-10 rears, Ti heat shields front only, Castrol SRF brake fluid. I buy my stuff from OP Mustang- Tim sells stuff that works. For track only or trailer up w/ slicks, I will move up the G-Loc scale to
R-16's or 14's up front and stagger.

Better ask the smart people about braided steel lines- I haven't done that. I thought primary benefit of that mod was safety- avoiding a cut line if debris flies through and chops a brake line...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel