The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Glad my 2012 Boss doesn't have any of that buggy Microsoft software!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/key-car-quality-study-ranks-software-bugs-most-170243393.html

Sync in the Mustang is the older system. Pretty much bug free. I traded my 2010 for 2012 boss and have missed that one feature, except when really using the added feature of excessive fun the Boss offers. Also wish for better guages from the factory on 2012. never have figured out why they use a V6 dash instead of a base GT

ChuckP said:
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/key-car-quality-study-ranks-software-bugs-most-170243393.html

I have 2013 Boss with Sync, and it is aggravating. There is no way I would have paid $1000 for it if I could have gotten around it somehow. It works about 1/2 the time, even when you say the exact same command the exact same way. It mysteriously refuses to sync with my Android phone about 1/2 the time. It finds songs on my iPod for a few days, then suddenly gives me "Media Error" for no reason. The voice nav is completely useless, because it has to call a phone number and download the route data. By the time it does this, you are far enough along that it has to reroute you. Guess what? Than means another phone call. It does this over and over. If you stop and download the route, which takes 2-3 minutes, the moment you get off route it has to make ANOTHER phone call. It is clearly useless.

The only thing it does well is navigate a small memory stick with music. If you can get it to sync with Pandora, that is cool, until it loses it brains and refuses to sync again. If you have more than 10,000 songs on a memory stick, it loses its brains, too.

Bottom line: the $250 Kenwood head in my other car kicks the crap out of Sync.

Don't get me started on the quality of the speakers....which is not a Sync issue but which is also a sore spot.

GA
The Sync in my '12 GT works pretty well with my Blackberry, and the "Bad Media" error only happens occasionally with MP3s. The biggest complaint that I have is when I make calls on the road people say it is hard to hear me, which is probably due to road noise. It probably works better in a luxury car.

PJWANNABE said:
The Sync in my '12 GT works pretty well with my Blackberry, and the "Bad Media" error only happens occasionally with MP3s. The biggest complaint that I have is when I make calls on the road people say it is hard to hear me, which is probably due to road noise. It probably works better in a luxury car.

Oh, I forgot to b**ch about that, too.

My $250 Kenwood head has awesome noise cancelling on the Bluetooth phone mic. The sound quality on the Sync unit is the Boss is terrible.

The unit is a total fail as far as I am concerned. It is one of the very few things I don't like about my Boss, and by far the most aggravating. I've just decided the entire Sync thing doesn't work. I've gone back to using a BT headset for calls, and manual navigation of music on a memory stick by twiddling the dials.

I went with the scoche kit. So now I have bluetooth, touch screen, navagation, movies,sat radio,apps, backup camera, touch screen ac/heat the works and will say it is the way to go I used a nx501 clairion it is great. My wife's f150 has sunk it's a 2011 was thinking of either a new one or doing the same for her.

I would like regular bluetooth, but the voice commands are pretty bad in the full version of sync I have used. 3 of my siblings have new Explorers, before the last update it was almost unusable as it would crash constantly. I wish they had used a regular stereo instead of the integrated faceplate, I have a $100 stereo in my track car that is way better than the stock 12 stereo but adding in the cost of the scorche kit plus the adapter for steering wheel controls puts it more expansive than I am willing to spend on a car where I rarely use the stereo. A USB connector would have been nice too, even my basic Tundra has one. The line in sucks since no controlling the ipod, so I made an mp3 CD and just leave it in there.

Jeep can you post up some pics? I probably won't get one, but I am curious how it looks. The other kit (don't recall the name) looks horrible.

Jeep can you post up some pics? I probably won't get one, but I am curious how it looks. The other kit (don't recall the name) looks horrible.
[/quote]

I am still figureing the picture uploading thing kinda gave up on pictures. But yes I have had a ton of compliments on it.

Info on posting photos can be found in the thread below. Hint: you must use an external photo hosting site.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/a-tip-for-reading-boss-mustangs-online/

jeepinocala said:

I am still figureing the picture uploading thing kinda gave up on pictures. But yes I have had a ton of compliments on it.
[/quote]

I would have gladly gone without the $2000 price increase for 2013 and done without Sync and HID headlights.

I will be 70 in Jan. So I guess that makes me old school. I don't care for gadgets. All I want is a stout motor and a twisty road. I have never even turned on the radio in the Boss. I just want to enjoy the drive. I don't text, tweet, or leave voice msgs . The only pictures That I take is when the phone takes them by itself inside my pocket. I am looking for a phone without any frills , just a rotary dial . ;D

To be honest a few of you with the bad media error is actually pretty fixable. It's actually with the audio file, ford offers a program that you download on your pc and it corrects the audio files. I have used it for three years now since I had a 2009 Lincoln MKS. And a huge word to the wise don't use the USB for music, use Bluetooth audio streaming and set your phone you stream from as the primary device and you won't have a single issue.

Im on an I-phone 4 and Sync works perfectly for me in my 2012 GT, the boss will arrive next week so ill try it but to be honest the GT is going to be used for roadtrips and the Boss for trackdays and i cant imagine making a call or calling up a song whilst blasting round Silverstone!

One of the Mustang dealers in the Uk was talking to me this week while we were chatting he asked me what hands free system i was using and i told him it was Sync in the Mustang, he was shocked because it was so clear!, so i guess we are all having different experiences.

Passengers find Sync hilarious as i have to speak with an american accent for it to work, lol

ian

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
coboss said:
ChuckP said:

I have 2013 Boss with Sync, and it is aggravating. There is no way I would have paid $1000 for it if I could have gotten around it somehow. It works about 1/2 the time, even when you say the exact same command the exact same way. It mysteriously refuses to sync with my Android phone about 1/2 the time. It finds songs on my iPod for a few days, then suddenly gives me "Media Error" for no reason. The voice nav is completely useless, because it has to call a phone number and download the route data. By the time it does this, you are far enough along that it has to reroute you. Guess what? Than means another phone call. It does this over and over. If you stop and download the route, which takes 2-3 minutes, the moment you get off route it has to make ANOTHER phone call. It is clearly useless.

The only thing it does well is navigate a small memory stick with music. If you can get it to sync with Pandora, that is cool, until it loses it brains and refuses to sync again. If you have more than 10,000 songs on a memory stick, it loses its brains, too.

Bottom line: the $250 Kenwood head in my other car kicks the crap out of Sync.

Don't get me started on the quality of the speakers....which is not a Sync issue but which is also a sore spot.
COBOSS
I read your post and I couldn't get over how you were able to read my mind and post exactly what I was thinking about the SYNC POS. Whenever I can rebuild my pile of cash again, this system will be replaced with a new head unit and speaker system. What a perfectly good waste of money. Big disappointment.

MMD

TMO Supporting Vendors