The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GLoc GS1 pad install upgrade or down grade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Anyone use GLoc GS1 pads for street duty? I swapped out my R12 and R10 set up and put on new rotors. The GS1 pads and the brakes feel soft to me. Prior to that I had stock pads, then installed my track R12/10 set up and I had no complaints. Are the GS1 pads just mellow and don’t provide initial bite? Heck, even my Fusion has more initial bite that the GS1 pad set up. Nothing else has changed in the set up of the car.

TIA

They are a great pad, but they don't provide the initial bite as the R12/R10 combo. I personally run those on my car, and the GS1 for the street. I feel as though its a great pad. Low dust, no noise, not overly grabby. I personally don't like my street pads to have a log of initial bite.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Anyone use GLoc GS1 pads for street duty? I swapped out my R12 and R10 set up and put on new rotors. The GS1 pads and the brakes feel soft to me. Prior to that I had stock pads, then installed my track R12/10 set up and I had no complaints. Are the GS1 pads just mellow and don’t provide initial bite? Heck, even my Fusion has more initial bite that the GS1 pad set up. Nothing else has changed in the set up of the car.

TIA
I imagine that over the past 6 months you've acquired a lot more experience with those GS1's. I know what you're feeling, though my experience is somewhat clouded by the 10's and 12's being on the Mustang and the GS1's being on a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT.

I happen to prefer stronger bite on the street, though I guess it does demand that your brake pedal modulation skills be a bit better than either lightly touch or stomp without much in between. Not that forcing yourself to develop better brake modulation is necessarily a bad thing . . .

Here's a list of the mu values for G-loc pads.

G-LOC Pad Compound Chart data from Vorshlag
GS-1 ~.45 ambient up to 800°F (426°C) - Street pads
R6 ~.51 ambient up to 1000°F + (to 537°C+) - Autocross pads
R8 ~.55 74°F-1250°F+ (23°C to 676°C+) - Entry level track pads
R10 ~.59 118°F - 1475°F (47°C - 801°C) - Track pads
R12 ~.62-.63 173°F to 1860°F (78°C to 1015°C) - Track pads
R14 ~.60 210°F to 1400°F (98°C to 760°C) - Endurance pad for light cars
R16 ~.65 255°F to 2000°F (123°C to 1093°C) - Aggressive track pad
R18 ~.70-.71 610°F to 2100°F+ (321°C to 1149°C+) - Aggressive track pad

Norm

Bay Area
I imagine that over the past 6 months you've acquired a lot more experience with those GS1's. I know what you're feeling, though my experience is somewhat clouded by the 10's and 12's being on the Mustang and the GS1's being on a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT.

I happen to prefer stronger bite on the street, though I guess it does demand that your brake pedal modulation skills be a bit better than either lightly touch or stomp without much in between. Not that forcing yourself to develop better brake modulation is necessarily a bad thing . . .

Here's a list of the mu values for G-loc pads.

Norm

Thanks For the data Norm. Overall I’m extremely happy with the R12/10 set up on the track. The GS1 on the street work fine it just took a little getting used to. I think I might actually prefer them on the street over the factory pads.

TMO Supporting Vendors