The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Going Square, what is needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
why did you go to a torque arm?

Supposed to be better for bite.
I had a properly set up 3 link and experienced the same problems.
What's funny is that at the drags this same car making almost 700/700 would bite 100% and 60 foot in 1.4 seconds @ full weight on 10" Drag radials.

You might have covered this, but is your axle housing still aligned properly (camber and especially toe).

My autocross car will tweak the 9 inch housing every once in a while and all of the sudden, it won't put power down. A toe check will show toe-out, when I fix that things are back to normal.

DaveW

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You might have covered this, but is your axle housing still aligned properly (camber and especially toe).

My autocross car will tweak the 9 inch housing every once in a while and all of the sudden, it won't put power down. A toe check will show toe-out, when I fix that things are back to normal.

DaveW
I have a computer printout but I don't trust that machine.
I'll put my toe boards on it this weekend and check for real.
Good call though. Thanks.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Longacre toe plates show 3/64ths toe in on diff.
Swapped plates around to compare measurements and still 3/64's toe in.
Swapped tapes around to compare measurements and still 3/64's toe in.
Too bad, a toe'd out rear end would have been an easy fix.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd love that....but $ :(

Maybe Phoenix Performance has a used one for sale. @blacksheep-1

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
That would be nice. But don"t those race axles have set a camber??..... Bit lost how you get adjustable toe and camber with our chariot setup!! WHat did I miss!!??

Longacre toe plates show 3/64ths toe in on diff.
Swapped plates around to compare measurements and still 3/64's toe in.
Swapped tapes around to compare measurements and still 3/64's toe in.
Too bad, a toe'd out rear end would have been an easy fix.

That doesn't sound like very much, especially in a non floater, but better than toe out. :) I have had thrust angle cause corner exit traction problems too. But I doubt either of these would be anything to do with your issue.

Sorry I was no help :(

DaveW

That would be nice. But don"t those race axles have set a camber??..... Bit lost how you get adjustable toe and camber with our chariot setup!! WHat did I miss!!??

Careful application of heat in the proper places. Without a floater, you won't be getting huge camber or toe numbers, but you can correct minor issues.

DaveW

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That doesn't sound like very much, especially in a non floater, but better than toe out. :) I have had thrust angle cause corner exit traction problems too. But I doubt either of these would be anything to do with your issue.

Sorry I was no help :(

DaveW
No sir, you were very helpful. You made me go back and look at something that I took for granted even though I know better. We all need to be reminded of the most basic principles from time to time because so many problems lie within the fundamentals. Fundamentals that often are taken for granted....which brings us full circle.
Thank you for taking the time to remind me. :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Careful application of heat in the proper places. Without a floater, you won't be getting huge camber or toe numbers, but you can correct minor issues.

DaveW
Yep, I have a lot of experience with stock cars and a lot of brackets get welded on them for different applications. It's expected that they will bend and are checked and straightened as you go. I've straightened more than I can remember, I just assumed that since this one was stock and hadn't been welded on that it didn't occur to me that it may be bent. I checked it once, 2 years ago and then forgot all about it. Thanks again for the reminder.

Waking this up again.

I have a friend who is thinking of going square.

His current set up is stock Boss struts/shocks, stock Boss F/RSB, Ford Boss "T" springs, full BMR rear U/L Control Arms, relocation bracket, and BMR panhard.

From what I am reading here, if he goes 19x10 with 285 MAYBE 295 square, he should get the 20 or 22 mm RSB and set all four shocks to 5.

Did I miss anything? Thanks for the help.....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Waking this up again.

I have a friend who is thinking of going square.

His current set up is stock Boss struts/shocks, stock Boss F/RSB, Ford Boss "T" springs, full BMR rear U/L Control Arms, relocation bracket, and BMR panhard.

From what I am reading here, if he goes 19x10 with 285 MAYBE 295 square, he should get the 20 or 22 mm RSB and set all four shocks to 5.

Did I miss anything? Thanks for the help.....
The biggest contributing factor (in my experience) is to remove some of the rear bar stiffness since the car will now have more front grip compared to stock (now in an oversteer condition)--so that 20 or 22mm should help bring the car back to "neutral" quite a bit vs. the OEM BOSS or LS bar.

Not sure how that will play with the rest of the components but he may have to drive it cautiously and creep up on the limit until he is sure.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The biggest contributing factor (in my experience) is to remove some of the rear bar stiffness since the car will now have more front grip compared to stock (now in an oversteer condition)--so that 20 or 22mm should help bring the car back to "neutral" quite a bit vs. the OEM BOSS or LS bar.

Not sure how that will play with the rest of the components but he may have to drive it cautiously and creep up on the limit until he is sure.
How big is the stock boss rear bar?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Waking this up again....

I understand a 22mm rear bar may be cheap.

How about keeping the stock Boss RSB and going with an adjustable Strano front bar??

That was my initial thought too since I didn't want to lose any roll resistance by going with a smaller bar.
Should work, just more expensive and my understanding is that it may not "settle" the rear end down as much as going with a rear smaller bar, for better/earlier power delivery.
I ended up getting some smaller RSBs cheap so I will play around with those first once I get new tires, then decide if I like the smaller RSB setup or want to go with a stiffer front.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel