The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Going Square, what is needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Waking this up again....

I understand a 22mm rear bar may be cheap.

How about keeping the stock Boss RSB and going with an adjustable Strano front bar??

With the stock front spring rates, large increases only yield very small changes in effective outer wheel rate.
stock spring + stock bar = 241.2
stock spring and strano bar
softest = 243.1
middle = 246.5
stiff = 249.9

I'm not sure the ~8.7 lb. in. difference would be enough to affect overall balance.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, as I find the information and insight very helpful. I have a 2012 Boss and am moving to a square setup. Based on the discussion in this thread and other research, I plan to modify my stock suspension with Boss T lowering springs, MM CC plates and the 22 mm RSB. I hope to hit the track in March with this new square setup and see how it performs. As an aside, I think the final end game is coilovers and this interim mod is a low cost alternative while I continue to consider a coilovers suspension system.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I went back and forth between P and T springs. Someone mentioned that the difference between coilovers and springs are night and day, but the difference in the P and T is more like splitting hairs, respectively speaking. I also spoke with a FRPP rep whose advice was the T over the P, for the Boss. Then I saw the Ts on clearance sale, which helped me to pull the trigger.

Bay Area
OK OK my turn for this thread. I have tracked a few cars and they were already set up which was great. Ive raced motorcycles and obviously suspension is a lot different. Now that I am going to track my Boss I am seeking advice as to where I should go. I can do all the work myself therefore, thats not a big deal to me..

Current set up Ground control coil overs 7"/430# front springs and 10"/200# rear springs.
Adjustable PHB, stock sway bars and no other mods.
Street rims are 9.5" with 275/40/18s

I contacted Ground Control and spoke with them (waste of time) they said that their suspension is designed to work the best with whatever I install. (Very helpful). I won't mentions the duds name.

So my question is since it will be a dual duty car.

Should I put the LCAs on and install a smaller RSB with my current set up and try it out or do I start over and do this

NIB Boss struts, FRPP springs M5300-P, MM C/C kit with GT500 upper strut mounts. (which I already have)
Install smaller RSB and get FRPP LCA's which I will be running either my APEX 10x18s, right now I have Nitto NT01s 275/40/18, which I'm sure I will replace before track duty or ill have another set or 18x10s but same size.

I am also going to install my FRPP RSD X-Brace and 4 point. Don't know if that makes much of a difference with the chassis stiffness.

TIA and PMs are welcome if you don't want to clog up this thread.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
OK OK my turn for this thread. I have tracked a few cars and they were already set up which was great. Ive raced motorcycles and obviously suspension is a lot different. Now that I am going to track my Boss I am seeking advice as to where I should go. I can do all the work myself therefore, thats not a big deal to me..

Current set up Ground control coil overs 7"/430# front springs and 10"/200# rear springs.
Adjustable PHB, stock sway bars and no other mods.
Street rims are 9.5" with 275/40/18s

I contacted Ground Control and spoke with them (waste of time) they said that their suspension is designed to work the best with whatever I install. (Very helpful). I won't mentions the duds name.

So my question is since it will be a dual duty car.

Should I put the LCAs on and install a smaller RSB with my current set up and try it out or do I start over and do this

NIB Boss struts, FRPP springs M5300-P, MM C/C kit with GT500 upper strut mounts. (which I already have)
Install smaller RSB and get FRPP LCA's which I will be running either my APEX 10x18s, right now I have Nitto NT01s 275/40/18, which I'm sure I will replace before track duty or ill have another set or 18x10s but same size.

I am also going to install my FRPP RSD X-Brace and 4 point. Don't know if that makes much of a difference with the chassis stiffness.

TIA and PMs are welcome if you don't want to clog up this thread.
Have you tracked it with the current setup?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nope not this car. Just being stupid on the twisties over here near the 35. And that’s my other option just track it and figure it out from there. That’s how I did some of my bikes.
That's what I would do.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It does make the most sense. Mentally and financially in all reality. Now I will just called centrate on safety and brakes. thanks Sal
Now all you gotta do is get that thing to the track....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And get my splitter, wing, tow hooks installed. I’m slated for a track day so it’s on now.
If you get the placement figured out and mark the location, you can bring the bumpers to me and I'll weld them on....free.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Happy to help.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing