The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good and Bad at Sebring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had a good time this weekend after getting over my fear of being out on Sebring again. Last time I was there I boiled the brakes and went on a little ride. I used a set of PFC's 97 up front this time and they worked well, very little wear, the best I have had but they are not up to the heat. I want to try set of 01's or better yet the 08's since they are suppose to last longer.

Sebring is easy on tires and I was able to run with more pressure in the slicks. I found 39 up front was good and 36-37 in the rear, the tires ended up with little wear. Learning to run minus Advancedtrac is a whole new game. My best lap was a second slower then I ran on the NT05"s because I was being very cautious.

Ran hotter this weekend, just shy of 240 with my 302S radiator and Tiger Hood installed. I have not seen these temp since the car was stock.

In the end it was great to see so many Boss 302 hitting the track. Many people stayed for both days and the banquet was fun. They gave away thousands of dollars in prizes, Kenny Brown, LMR, Steeda and more gave away gift certificates for up to $250. The guy to my right won five times and the guy on my left won three things. I was out of luck however, maybe next year.

Turned the car around for the first time, in 16, glad I did not find the wall. Still have lots to learn.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giXgpFwfSlY[/youtube]

Looks like fun. Don't most guys run the 01's up front and 97's in the rear? I wonder if the 302S radiator helps lower temps. There have been a couple of members that installed it and it doesn't seem to have lowered their temps at all.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'm running it. So far I havn't see any overheat issues but it's been fairly cool. I'll be out at LRP in 2 days, temps are 92 in the shade today so it may be pretty hot. I'll report back.

PeteInCT said:
I'm running it. So far I havn't see any overheat issues but it's been fairly cool. I'll be out at LRP in 2 days, temps are 92 in the shade today so it may be pretty hot. I'll report back.

Hey Pete,
I'll be there. It will be nice to meet another Boss owner. what run group are you in?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
With BMWCCA I run in the yellow (intermediate) group. In other clubs like NEQ (Audi Club of New England) and PCA I run in the advanced group. I guess BMW doesn't like me as much ;D In actuality, I don't drive with them much so it's probably a bit tougher to get bumped up I guess.

drano38

Wayne
Scott,
Glad to see you had a good time. Looks like a nice track, but also lots of walls. Up here in the midwest, we don't have many walls, which is nice. But I'll be at Brainerd this weekend, and they've got lots of concrete close to the track. :(

Looks like those slicks just let go. As you know, the NT-05 give lots of warning, then slowly let go--nice for guys still building experince (me).

I still haven't gotten the ECT above 225--I need to drive harder. ;D But its been cool up here--so far.

Brake pads--hope we get this one figured out soon. Carbotech XP10 and RP2 aren't good enough from my experince. Will test XP12 this weekend. DTC70/60 work, but some say they don't last. PFC 01/97 sounded promising from others. Good news is, sharing info will help us migrate to the viable solutions.

GA
I am still at a loss for how the Boss 302s can have overheating problems when they were designed with so many extras for the track. I have no issues with my GT. Watch, now that I put a Boss 302S grille on my car I have probably screwed myself. ;)

PJWANNABE said:
I am still at a loss for how the Boss 302s can have overheating problems when they were designed with so many extras for the track. I have no issues with my GT. Watch, now that I put a Boss 302S grille on my car I have probably screwed myself. ;)
Not sure if you remember the movie the Jerk, but when the sniper was pinging at Steve Martin he yelled "It's the cans!"

Well in this case "It's the revs!" The RPMs on the Boss are causing the overheating relative to the GT. 7500 revs on a V8 creates a TON of heat.

GA
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Not sure if you remember the movie the Jerk, but when the sniper was pinging at Steve Martin he yelled "It's the cans!"

Well in this case "It's the revs!" The RPMs on the Boss are causing the overheating relative to the GT. 7500 revs on a V8 creates a TON of heat.

LOL - I love that movie. Yeah, I'm sure 7500 RPM does generate a lot of heat. So maybe when the weather is warm above a certain temperature Boss owners should do like that old joke, "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this", and the Doc says, "So don't do that". ;) I have no problems at 7,000 RPM.

PJWANNABE said:
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:

LOL - I love that movie. Yeah, I'm sure 7500 RPM does generate a lot of heat. So maybe when the weather is warm above a certain temperature Boss owners should do like that old joke, "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this", and the Doc says, "So don't do that". ;) I have no problems at 7,000 RPM.
Touche` ;D It's hard to short shift though :(

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Jza1736 said:
PeteInCT said:

Hey Pete,
I'll be there. It will be nice to meet another Boss owner. what run group are you in?

JZA - I had my dates screwed up, my last answer was for the BMW event on 6/29 ;D For SCDA this Thursday I will be in the "Intermediate 2" group.

Ok cool. I'm in intermediate 1. I'll be there early to do my brakes for the first time. Weather looks good too! See you there!

Yep, it is hard to short shift unless a short straight calls for it, I find the rev limiter alot at Sebring. One good thing I did this weekend was find the rev limiter in 4th at Cunningham coming up to turn 10, never did that before 8) Rick the 01's would be the better choice for sure. I am told the 08's will also stand up to the heat but last longer, I may try them. I am using the 97's since I got a deal on them. The had little wear, a little rough on the rotors but not like the Hawks. I just found some cracking in them. The ST43 worked very well but wore out very fast.

I am running straight water and water wetter but my last two event the temp has been soaring fast, I hate to run without a grille and catch a rock to end my day and cost me more it parts. I may cut a few bars out the grille I am using now. Two on the outside of the pony and one each on the row next to the pony. Next step will be a grille with only a 1/4 inch screen.

You are correct Wayne the Hoosier take-off say nothing until you are going around. I knew this however since I took a ride in another Boss, he did not go around but slid sideways. Did not hear a thing until we were sliding. Hey it builds character ;D like Gary say we don't need no stinkin' nannies - guess the same for tires, right?

I am an vintage racer and Boss owner second. I have tracked the car once for only a few laps. But I do have insite to what the over heat problem may be.
On a great many production cars turned race car a problem of over heat arises. This problem is almost always attacked by spending gobs of money improving cooling hardware and misteriously the problem often gets worse.
Over heat can be caused by inadiquate radiator( not on our car), /to small intake ( not on our car,you forgot the huge lower opening), under hood preasure ( yes put a Tiger on it), condenser or intercooler blocking flow ( maybe), WATER PUMP CAVITATION DUE TO R P M ( yes the most overlooked and almost always the problem). When the pump cavitates it whips gas out of the coolant and gas will not transfer heat. When you pull in the pits in moments the gas reabsobes and the problem is masked.
If you look at our power curve we do not need to dwell at 7200 to 7500 to make time. Only carry the RPM when needed not cronically. The beat resolution is put a bigger pulley on the water pump to turn it slower, or put a racing pump on it. Ours is designed to cool the car on a hot day under 2000 with the a c on. Not at full song. I have cured many many production race cars with this problem. I bet the r and s have bigger pulleys on the pump. Let me know please.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bill Pemberton said:
How many of you guys are running Water Wetter or the equivalent???

Drained 36 oz coolant from the radiator then dumped in 3 bottles of WW...never had a heat issue here in AZ.

emcrace said:
I am an vintage racer and Boss owner second. I have tracked the car once for only a few laps. But I do have insite to what the over heat problem may be.
On a great many production cars turned race car a problem of over heat arises. This problem is almost always attacked by spending gobs of money improving cooling hardware and misteriously the problem often gets worse.
Over heat can be caused by inadiquate radiator( not on our car), /to small intake ( not on our car,you forgot the huge lower opening), under hood preasure ( yes put a Tiger on it), condenser or intercooler blocking flow ( maybe), WATER PUMP CAVITATION DUE TO R P M ( yes the most overlooked and almost always the problem). When the pump cavitates it whips gas out of the coolant and gas will not transfer heat. When you pull in the pits in moments the gas reabsobes and the problem is masked.
If you look at our power curve we do not need to dwell at 7200 to 7500 to make time. Only carry the RPM when needed not cronically. The beat resolution is put a bigger pulley on the water pump to turn it slower, or put a racing pump on it. Ours is designed to cool the car on a hot day under 2000 with the a c on. Not at full song. I have cured many many production race cars with this problem. I bet the r and s have bigger pulleys on the pump. Let me know please.
This is interesting considering the many options people have used and they didn't solve the problem completely. The only option we know for sure helps a lot is swapping out the stock grille for one that flows more air.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Scott

Talk to Andie at Cobalt Friction in Coral Springs, FL. I run them on the GT3 with awesome wear over 10 track days and counting. I got a set of XR1 front and XR2 rear for the Boss and they have been great so far.

Re your oversteer now without the Nannies you are running 275/18 square set up now correct. If so you probably need either a stiffer front bar or softer rear bar to balance the car. The Advance Track being on before was probably covering up some of this with the electronics.

Peter

TMO Supporting Vendors