The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good day gone bad, then good, then bad again...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For $6,000 I would enroll at the nearest community college that offers a body repair class and learn to do it myself! I'm sorry but that sounds like highway robbery. I think body shops over charge for repairs since an insurance company is paying thinking they are hurting no one, without stopping to think they are hurting us all when the insurance company passes the cost right back to the consumer.

We shall see what the independent appraiser from the insurance company. I also always double check the estimate with two others. I'm friends with the owner but I trust no one. 9 out of 10 times he has the best price.

The body shop does not control how much the insurance company pays, the insurance company does. A good body shop that is not contracted by an insurance company makes sure they do it right and catch everything that the insurance company missed.

Something good will come out of it, like you said, maybe you can get something different instead of the stock parts to replace and personalize your car. I was bummed when I got into my accident but got a Tiger FB hood out of it, not really bummed anymore.

Brandon302 said:
Something good will come out of it, like you said, maybe you can get something different instead of the stock parts to replace and personalize your car. I was bummed when I got into my accident but got a Tiger FB hood out of it, not really bummed anymore.

Thanks. At a minimum I will be able to get a CDC grille installed. Mine is not damaged so I will still have to buy it. Saves me the hassle although I could have done it myself. Texas heat sucks too.

If they replace my wheel, I'll now have a spare.

I wanted to find a different bumper cover, but surprisingly I can't really find anything different than stock for the 2013s.

Anybody know of any?

I like the Roush, but you can't buy it. I like the Ring Brothers, but it is carbon fiber and costs an arm and a leg.

Dearth,

I am an adjuster for Farmers. I wrote a couple quick sheets for using CCC. Our estimating system. There is no way fender needs to be replaced, at least not from what I see.. Will scratch in hood buff out? You do not want to touch a panel unless it is absolutely necessary as cant replicate factory corrosion protection and finish. My first sheet has 4 hours of repair to fender, replace cover and splitter. New headlight and New stripes to fender and company called Alloy Wheel repair refinishing wheel good as new. Total was 3200. That is all ford parts and includes 2 wheel alignment since wheel was impacted. That is with $48 an hour body labor and paint and $28 paint materials an hour. So between 3 to 4k. Not sure how he got he got 6000. In my system stripe tape for hood is 459.38 and fender is 369.25. That is with full paint times, no blending. Only time you blend a panel is to match paint you don't pay blend time on a panel that is being repaired. Whatever ins company is doing that run from them.

KissMyBoss said:
Dearth,

I am an adjuster for Farmers. I wrote a couple quick sheets for using CCC. Our estimating system. There is no way fender needs to be replaced, at least not from what I see.. Will scratch in hood buff out? You do not want to touch a panel unless it is absolutely necessary as cant replicate factory corrosion protection and finish.
That's terrific info, thanks for sharing.

NFSBOSS said:
That's terrific info, thanks for sharing.

That is good insight. I still need to get a couple more quotes. The independent appraiser actually came pretty close to the shop.

He said the fender can be repaired. Pictures don't show it, but crinkled into the wheel well. So it's a bit of a wash. Unless he pulled the wrong prices on the stripes, but I watched him pull from the parts list...his prices are way different than yours.

I truly don't understand blending vs not. When is it needed vs not. You hear guys say a good shop can match. You hear long time body guys, only true way to match is to blend.

We shall see. Side note, just as I figured...total fault placed on me thanks to the guy in the white car leaving.

Lastly...we love Farmers. My girlfriend is a residential adjustor with Farmers. She envies you guys. Climbing roofs in Texas 100 degree heat...not fun.

TMO Supporting Vendors