The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good or Bad Tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
12CoBoss has some cheap ones over at his house and they have decent tread life in them....ask him what the price is but am sure they would be mega reasonable. Depends on what size your rims are??

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Look, do some tire maintenance with your heat gun & a tire scraper, clean them up & then look at them. How deep are the cracks? Do a good inspection once you scrape the twisted rubber bits off.

Assuming they are date coded in the last few years & not 5 plus years old.

As Hi Pro said.......heat gun and scrape first. I've seen weird cracks like that on my fresh-off-the-track tires which disappeared once I scraped all the built-up rubber off. I didn't see a mention about tire age or heat cycles but if they are good both ways I'd clean them up and decide. Also some Track Claw traction compound can get them fresh enough for another day or two.

for those scoring at home...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bob

You are sitting in the corner....right?

In my experience its hard to express humor and or sarcasm in a few words. We "Economical Word Smits" keep getting misunderstood. Which is a real shame knowing just how bright we both are. Yep, sarcasm again.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Agree with others - looks like a lot of OPR* that could be cleaned off. No visible tread depth indicators in the picture (well, maybe at the bottom of the picture?), which means either you've worn the tread down to the limit or they're covered up; I'm thinking the latter. In case you don't know about tire date codes, on the sidewall should be 4 digits, sometimes inside an oval. The first 2 are the week and the second 2 are the year; e.g., 2119 means the tire was made in week 21 of 2019.

If it were me, and the tire is less than 5 years old, I'd run it and keep an eye on it between sessions. Maybe even pull into the pits after a few hot laps in the first session to give it a quick look. Better safe than sorry.

*Other People's Rubber

I have gone and scraped the tires and I believe my best/safest bet is to just purchase a new set. Pemberton has directed me to a good tire I may look at and try. To start the Roundup I will use my (cheap/free set as 12coBoss) has indicated...LOL!

I am bound and determined THIS is the year I finally break the 1:39.999 time!!!

I have gone and scraped the tires and I believe my best/safest bet is to just purchase a new set. Pemberton has directed me to a good tire I may look at and try. To start the Roundup I will use my (cheap/free set as 12coBoss) has indicated...LOL!

I am bound and determined THIS is the year I finally break the 1:39.999 time!!!

A set of R7s and some Blacksheep magic?

TMO Supporting Vendors