The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good Price on Castrol SRF Brake Fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This is what will be going in my car shortly, similar price when you factor in the size of the bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/BRE-HTC64-Brembo-HTC64-Brake-Fluid/dp/B004WOTCS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375593282&sr=8-2&keywords=brembo+64T

635*F vs. SRF 590*F

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:
Wet boiling point is irrelevant, when you are working in that regime, your fluid has already degraded to crap.

I have always been told otherwise. The dry boiling point was somewhat useless because fluid is ALWAYS exposed to some level of moisture. As far as SRF is concerned i believe its most redeeming quality is that it is less hygroscopic than other high temp fluids. My $.02 ;-)

isrboss

Wet boiling is 518* on the SRF! That's pretty impressive, but I'm not spending that kind money, when ATE hasn't failed me yet. I fully flush brake and clutch system after each event, and have gone through 4 liters of fluid in 4 months. Adding that up gets silly with the SRF.

PeteInCT said:
I have always been told otherwise. The dry boiling point was somewhat (is) useless because fluid is ALWAYS exposed to some level of moisture. As far as SRF is concerned i believe its most redeeming quality is that it is less hygroscopic than other high temp fluids. My $.02 ;-)

That is absolutely correct. After switching to Castrol my cost is the same or less using it because I do not have to swap fluid as often. I found I was having to change the fluid every day and sometimes during and event if I felt the pedal going soft. I have had two complete brake loss events from boiled fluid and after switching to Catrol the last thing on my mind is boiling brakes. I do a few pumps of the brakes now before a new track day if it has been a month or more but have known some people here that just leave it in for a few months without problems because it does not absorb water like the other fluids.

I was reluctant to to use it because of the cost and how much I was using with the other brands. Now after using it I will not switch back to any other fluid, I guess there will always be doubters to this but for those who want almost guaranteed protection against boiled brakes try the Castrol.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
YellowBoss said:
That is absolutely correct. After switching to Castrol my cost is the same or less using it because I do not have to swap fluid as often. I found I was having to change the fluid every day and sometimes during and event if I felt the pedal going soft. I have had two complete brake loss events from boiled fluid and after switching to Catrol the last thing on my mind is boiling brakes. I do a few pumps of the brakes now before a new track day if it has been a month or more but have know some people here that just leave it in for a few months without problems because it does not absorb water like the other fluids.

I was reluctant to to use it because of the cost and how much I was using with the other brands. Now after using it I will not switch back to any other fluid, I guess there will always be doubters to this but for those who want almost guaranteed protection against boiled brakes try the Castrol.

+1, once brake fluid container is open you are working wit WET boiling point ratings. SRF's advantage is lower rate of moisture absorbtion. Motul (which I also have used) is very good but has a shorter useful life. It's expensive but will help extend brake pad, rotor, caliper and possibly the driver's life.
Steve

LS110 said:
So with the Castrol, hour many track hours are you going between changes?

Can't say exactly since I have been only using it this year. I do quick, sort of, flushes before events spaced apart, however it was not even enough to completely flush the calipers. Most likely it did no good but after having to flush the fluid completely before it is a hard habit to break, if anything I did it to check for air (none found). I had the Castrol put in in Jan and have done about 6 one or two day events. Since then I used about 7/8's of a one liter bottle. Most of what was needed has been for two slave cylinders and swapping the rear brake calipers to the 13's (along with the bleeds mentioned above).

I ran two day events without having to bleed between days. I talked to a least one person who does a flush on a track only car every six months. Sounded crazy to me at the time but now seems about right. I will continue to do the quick bleeds that will slowly change the fluid over time and see how that holds up. Complete flush or a slower flush, to each his own.

The point of using this fluid John has nothing to do with my answer to your question. Like I said I boiled brakes before and found a tire wall, then with a passenger of a company that supports the group I was running with. Had the brakes go soft several other times. Since changing to the SRF I have never even had a hint of brake pedal softness. If they doubled the price of the fluid I would still use it, cheaper then replacing body panels or the whole car.

blacksheep-1 said:
Do you flush out the old brake fluid using some sort of medium (like denatured alcohol) or do you just flush it out using the new fluid?

i flush it using the new brake fluid.

I siphon out most of the fluid from the reservoir, fill it with new fluid, then go on about bleeding the lines.

I do the same, siphon out what I can from the master and add new fluid. Then the normal RR, LR, RF, LF bleed. When my car was switched to the Castrol it was done at the race shop and I assume they did the same. They used just over a liter, that is about right to make sure all the old fluid is out.

TMO Supporting Vendors