The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Goodyear eagle Supercar 3R- anyone run them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These tires are factory on the 1LE Camaros and wonder if anyone ran them on track and what they think of em. At $1300 a set seems reasonable for track duty.

These tires are factory on the 1LE Camaros and wonder if anyone ran them on track and what they think of em. At $1300 a set seems reasonable for track duty.
Heard good things about em last time at the track.
They seem fast thread pattern seems very similar to sc2.
I might try them after nitto if i don't go slick

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
PSA for anyone that runs, or is considering the Goodyear SuperCar 3R’s - these tires are extremely slippery on cold mornings. I had a front row seat to a guy totaling his ZL1 Camaro this morning on a first session out-lap. Sickening to watch it unfold and thankfully he walked away from a hard collision with the guardrail. I ran a sticker set of 3R’s at Big Willow in December - most terrifying out-lap I’ve ever had, and reminded me of driving on black ice. Once the heat comes in, they’re an amazing tire, but I’ve heard several stories the last few months about near misses on warmup.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It is reasonably well known among track or autocross folks that most of the 200 TWR tires or DOT Comp Tires should not be run under 40 degrees as they need much warmer temps for their compounding and sidewall and tire structure. What usually happens is drivers go out thinking it is mid 40s or 50s , but they do not take into consideration the track temp and off they go.

Pilot Sport Cup 2s, Goodyear F1 3Rs, Pirelli Trofeos, BFG gforceR1Ss, Hoosiers, Yokohama A052, etc. There are many more than this, but just using them as examples of the types of tires that really need warm weather and a warm track. Some are better than others and some are downright lacking of grip. I have run Hoosiers and BFG gforceR1Ss, Pilot Sport Cup 2s, and the Hoosier A7s/R7s come in sooner , but they are all speed skaters when cool. My rule of thumb , if cool out , is take at least an extra lap or two before really getting on it and that is tough if it is a race. Have won a few races being a bit more cautious on early laps as folks often fail to think about the fact that cars don't stop well either, they are often primarily focused on corners or accelerating.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
That cold tire thing can happen with any tire though, saw a guy wad up a 'stang last year on PSC2s on a cold outlap in between turn 1 and 2.
It is reasonably well known among track or autocross folks that most of the 200 TWR tires or DOT Comp Tires should not be run under 40 degrees as they need much warmer temps for their compounding and sidewall and tire structure. What usually happens is drivers go out thinking it is mid 40s or 50s , but they do not take into consideration the track temp and off they go.

Pilot Sport Cup 2s, Goodyear F1 3Rs, Pirelli Trofeos, BFG gforceR1Ss, Hoosiers, Yokohama A052, etc. There are many more than this, but just using them as examples of the types of tires that really need warm weather and a warm track. Some are better than others and some are downright lacking of grip. I have run Hoosiers and BFG gforceR1Ss, Pilot Sport Cup 2s, and the Hoosier A7s/R7s come in sooner , but they are all speed skaters when cool. My rule of thumb , if cool out , is take at least an extra lap or two before really getting on it and that is tough if it is a race. Have won a few races being a bit more cautious on early laps as folks often fail to think about the fact that cars don't stop well either, they are often primarily focused on corners or accelerating.

Completely agree with both of you here, and I should have prefaced the comments on the 3R’s with similar thoughts. The 3R’s are about as close as you can come to DOT racing tire or full blown slick (and their lap times prove it), but they’re marketed and sold as a street tire. If someone has run any of the other fast 200tw tires, or even the crop of 100tw like NT01, Toyo’s, etc, they will be caught off guard with the 3R’s warm up cycle. Guys that have run slicks - probably not so much, but that’s not the group that’s going to be attracted to the 3R’s aggressive price point and growing popularity as the go-to fast tire for track days. I just don’t want any of our fellow track rats here to go through the gut-wrenching misery that I heard from the owner of the Camaro yesterday.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So true 67GTA, and I have found the PSC2s to be quite similar when it is cool ---- friends with Trofeos echo the call. Should be no surprise as the three have tread patterns that are almost identical, only the names have changed to protect the Brand Loyalists, ha.

TX
I've found lighting up the rears leaving pit out helps a lot in cold/wet temps. Takes them from feeling like black ice to a damp track day. I'll gladly take understeer over a tank slapper on cold tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors