The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gopro & Helmet Questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys...going to Track Attack in September and driving my Boss on the USS Lexington in October so I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a Gopro.

What setup is best for Track Attack, like what mounting accessories should I bring?

What are people using as a semi-permanent setup in their Bosses at home?

What are the helmet requirements for a Track Attack and in general? I want to buy a helmet that I can use at local track and auto cross events. So I want to be sure what I buy is acceptable.

I tried to search but couldn't find clear recommendations.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a GoPro 3 Silver and have a mount on my roll bar and a suction cup for other locations but mostly use it on the front windshield looking out. GoPro has an app for the phone so you don't need the remote control. I also have the LCD screen but don't use it much. I wouldn't buy the screen until you determine if you need it. You can watch the video on the app via wifi.

Check out our vendor TrackLogic for a big sale they have on helmets. I have a Bell M4 and it works fine. The Bell sport is a little more affordable and many members use it.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8223.0

I have two Bell sport helmets and i'm very pleased with their quality. If you plan on getting something that you can use with almost all clubs and events, make sure the helmet is at least Snell SA2010 rated. In a couple of years the new rating will be out, but you'll still be able to use your SA2010 for another 5-10years, depending on the clubs you run with.

As far as the gopro, I tried placing it with suction mounts and extensions to get best possible view, while capturing driver inputs... nothing work better than mounting the gopro on the helmet itself, using one of the 3m mounts that came with the camera. Check out this link for a helmet mount view example.

NFSBOSS said:
I have a GoPro 3 Silver and have a mount on my roll bar and a suction cup for other locations but mostly use it on the front windshield looking out. GoPro has an app for the phone so you don't need the remote control. I also have the LCD screen but don't use it much. I wouldn't buy the screen until you determine if you need it. You can watch the video on the app via wifi.

Check out our vendor TrackLogic for a big sale they have on helmets. I have a Bell M4 and it works fine. The Bell sport is a little more affordable and many members use it.

Thanks. I saw that. Will call them tomorrow to see what helmets they have.

F.D. Sako said:
I have two Bell sport helmets and i'm very pleased with their quality. If you plan on getting something that you can use with almost all clubs and events, make sure the helmet is at least Snell SA2010 rated. In a couple of years the new rating will be out, but you'll still be able to use your SA2010 for another 5-10years, depending on the clubs you run with.

As far as the gopro, I tried placing it with suction mounts and extensions to get best possible view, while capturing driver inputs... nothing work better than mounting the gopro on the helmet itself, using one of the 3m mounts that came with the camera. Check out this link for a helmet mount view example.

Thanks. Very helpful.

I used the roll bar setup at TA. The instructors told us that suction mounts were not allowed inside the car, but could be used on the exterior. I personally liked seeing the what I was doing while I was driving. Several people in the class suction mounted them to the roof.

cbj5259 said:
I used the roll bar setup at TA. The instructors told us that suction mounts were not allowed inside the car, but could be used on the exterior. I personally liked seeing the what I was doing while I was driving. Several people in the class suction mounted them to the roof.

So can you use a helmet mount at track attack?

GoPro black hero 3 mounted inside windshield up high, camera in "upside down " mode. Using the 3m sticky mount. GoPro snaps in and out as needed. Works great. I use remote as desired to save battery.

NFSBOSS said:

Just got a great deal on a HJC AR10. Didn't have my size in any of the Bell helmets.

TMO Supporting Vendors