The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GoPro Hero camera............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
The GP2 has HD video and better audio - definitely the one to go with if you don't mind spending the coin. I have the older one and it does OK. You can probably pick up the older model cheap for under $100.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The older one is still HD but not the resolution of the GP2. The GP2 has less picture distortion because it has a real glass lens, not plastic. It also has more advanced accessories like the remote control.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Jeff Quinn said:
You fellows with experience, is there an advantage to going with a GoPro Hero 2 instead of the original?

Jeff

I hear the original one has a sucky UI (user interface) for controls and settings. I just commented on my current evaluation here;

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/bossers-who-have-been-to-%27track-attack%27-what-did-you-use-to-mount-your-gopro/msg42492/#msg42492

I am hoping once I reduce the FOV that when mounted inside the cabin on the rear windshield that the outside world is visible on sunny days. I have a lot of clips that are all glare outside the car. This is in NH too, can't imagine what it would be like in CA,AZ,TX etc...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The UI is fine once u get used to it but I believe the GP2 is better. I have my unit right on the front windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. No issues with glare.

98RedGT

2012 #552
I am looking at picking one up as well and GP2 motorsports pack looks to be the way to go. Is this what most people are doing or are you buying different pack and getting mounts and accessories separately? What essentials should I get that don't come with the camera (besides SD card)?

4dRacer said:
I am looking at picking one up as well and GP2 motorsports pack looks to be the way to go. Is this what most people are doing or are you buying different pack and getting mounts and accessories separately? What essentials should I get that don't come with the camera (besides SD card)?

Good questions, there. It comes with a few mounts, but I also would like input on the proper mounts.

Jeff

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Depends on how your car is set up and your clubs event rules. I have a windshield adhesive mount as well as a mount on my harness bar. I find the mounts that don't put the camera up against the glass (or outside) just don't take great video becuase of the contract differences between inside the car and out. Hence I rarely use my harness bar mount anymore.

Also, some clubs (a local BMW club for one here in CT) are now requiring that the cameras be:

• Mounted inside the car
  • Have a bolted or screwed in mount (no adhesives or suction cups)
  • Have a tether attached to a solid/bolted/screwed in connection point

Jeff Quinn said:
You fellows with experience, is there an advantage to going with a GoPro Hero 2 instead of the original?

Jeff

I have had one of the Original GoPro for about 4 years... Does OK, but the Sound recordings are horrible and the lack of any real user "visual" interface is a PITA... Haven't looked at the specs of the newer version, but it has to be better than the one I have...

http://youtu.be/VKGHGknHpXk

Had the camera mounted to the lower front facia on my 2007 Shelby GT... Enjoy!

ace72ace

Because of the suction cup ban for mounting options at Track Attack, I am seriously considering the ReplayHD model that can easily mount to a helmet. Plus it's supposed to have waaaay better audio the the GoPro models.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don't have the Hero2 but you definitely want the motorsports kit...it has what most racers need aside from a roll bar mount. The UI of the original unit takes a while to get used to, but works once you've figured it out. I had one go bad at Track Attack, and GoPro fixed it pretty quickly once I contacted them and sent the camera in for repair.

For the guys with the contrast issues, you need to use 'Spot Metering' mode (Spt) and keep the center of the field of view outside for best exposure.

Thanks, Gentlemen, for the information.
I ordered the Hero2 Motorsports package last night, along with extra batteries and charger. I also ordered the helmet front mount, as I will take the camera with me on the trip to Sturgis, SD next week. Leaving out of Tennessee on Saturday, and heading west, going through Wyoming and Montana, and maybe New Mexico and Colorado, too.

In October, I will take it to Track Attack in Utah.

After that, I think it will work to give a new perspective in our gun videos on Gunblast.com. I had to figure some way to write it off my taxes! :)

Jeff

I saw you already ordered, but I have the original and my bro has the 2 so this might help someone else. The biggest benefits of the 2 imo are the much improved battery life (I have to dump batteries after each session, and on cold days it won't last a whole session unless I'm using lithium) and it can use bigger memory cards so no swapping every 2 sessions.

There is better video and ui and stuff too, but the battery and memory issue is why I usually only get around to running it 1 session a day.

I have a question on how to down load video to Utube,I videoed my hot laps at track attack and can't get them to down load.I don't have a gopro,just a hand held.They turned out pretty good,I would like to put them on here.

Might be in the wrong format, I had to convert videos from my phone to a different format to upload them.

GoPro was at the MotoGP today, doing $100 off any camera, but they sold out while I was in line. They are going to email me a coupon to get the $100 off, don't know if it is a one time use coupon though. I have seen discount codes for the regular Hero HD but not for the Hero2, this one works for the Hero 2. I'll post up the code after I order one and you guys can try to use it.

Grant 302 said:
For the guys with the contrast issues, you need to use 'Spot Metering' mode (Spt) and keep the center of the field of view outside for best exposure.

I tried mounting my Gopro on the roll bar, behind and between the seats. I even used the "spot meter' mode, it still did not take very good videos of outside the car. Inside was great, but outside sucked. Gave up on mounting it to the rollbar. I now mount it to the inside winshield near the mirror with the suction cup mount.

ace72ace

In all my testing, I found that if you don't have the unit within a foot of the windshield, the glare and picture quality suck. It's either 'inside' if you want to film yourself shifting etc, or 'outside' with the lens very close to the outside world to get a quality image. Doesn't matter if you are in 720/960/1080 or any of the narrower FOVs only available at 1080 either.

I bought the GoPro Hero 2 camera with helmet mount and extra batteries/charger kit.

I bought this a week ago, and it works extremely well. great pictures, easy to use, but it is not what I need for what I want to do. I paid $328 from Amazon. I got the extra helmet mount, and the two extra batteries with wall and car charger. I have several mounts, the three batteries, chargers, etc. The unit is just like new. I used it for about one hour. As stated, I paid $328, and will sell at a loss for $250, shipped.

If interested, email to [email protected]

Thanks.

Jeff

TMO Supporting Vendors