The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GoPro Hero3 Camera Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUlEljvLYg[/youtube]

Here is a video using several different camera mounts edited together. I have used a suction mount for all the exterior shots which thus far has held on up to at least 130 in many different spots around the car. The front exterior shot is suction mounted to the top of the splitter. The interior shot is mounted to my roll bar. Since this video I have extended the roll bar mount so it the camera is just behind the seats. It is rock solid and thus little camera vibration is noticed. Currently I have a remote mike under the drivers seat which works fairly well, although I am going to try the trunk next year.

Let me know how you guys are downloading the video so that it appears with the open screen in the post.

I placed the external mic driver side, under the dash. since i haven't deleted the sound tube, it recorded the engine noise fairly well. a drawback was that you could hear the pedals and my key chain on WOT runs lol.

btw love that interior shot.

I really like that splitter location LS110. That was pretty cool how you combined the different locations too. I think I'm going to try mounting my external mic below the rear plate.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
For a front mount I like the angle we get when it's mounted on top of the bumper IMO. The splitter view is good but it doesn't look that far down the road. Of course, if you have 2 cameras, you can do both ;-) Also, you can tell the speed and clarity of the Hero3 in this video. The way it picks up the cracks in the asphalt even at high speed is impressive, I don't believe my Hero would have that much definition up front and that close. Time to put the old one up on EBay I guess ;D

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Been giving this a lot of thought, and I will be bringing a Hero3 and a ReplayXD to BTA. Rollbar mount for the GoPro and the small Replay is perfect for a helmet mount. A friend of mine has a older 720p only Replay, so I was thinking I could borrow his and use that pointed down at the dash from the lower left side of the helmet, with the new one on the right side pointing at the windshield. The best videos have multiple camera angles, and have a lot of post production work, editing isn't just pasting the same camera angle one after another with a caption or two...

[edit] Here's the Replay link; http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/

The fisheye effect of the GoPro can be annoying, so I'm looking forward to checking out the Replay. I experimented with the Hero mounted on the inside of the rear windshield facing forward and you really can't see a whole lot of the outside. Footage shot that covers just the inside of the car can be just 720p, don't really think you need full HD to capture the cloth detail of the seats... I guess you could just leave it all at full HD and then recapture the project in various resolutions, but you better have a lot of SD cards!

I also borrowed a Hero2 and experimented with it this past summer, inside, outside, etc. Yeah the internal mic stinks, plan on an external, or using a secondary audio track unless you dig wind noise.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I agree on the fisheye effect (if that's not what your looking for in the video). Did you try the various video settings? Some are wider angle than others, at least on my Hero2.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Yes, I experimented with the W/A settings on the Hero2 this summer, and you are correct. Varying the setting enhances or diminishes the effect. I'm hoping the Hero3 has better controls for this, but my fav feature of the new Hero3 has to the remote control via wireless. Having to fool with it through the water proof housing through the button push technique gets to be tiresome to scroll through menu after menu.

Here's a small clip from inside my Boss at full HD, don't recall if it was W/A setting or not. Also the driver of the car in front of me at the stop sign seems to have a 4-5 second rule before pulling out into traffic, or distracted driving. I miss summer =(.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/2CA1whNM_gU[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel