The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GoPro Hero3 Camera Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Few weeks ago, I bought a GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition. I recorded a few test videos to check the video/audio quality and mounting position. With the GoPro, I also purchased a Ram suction mount and a Kayalu 10" extension. My plan was to mount the camera to the rear window with the 10" extension to get a shot out the front windshield.

Below is one of the test videos I took at night. My first impressions are that the internal mic is not very good, which isn't a problem since i got an exterior mic on the way. And the mount is not very sturdy, because of the extension.

I have a day time video as well, which I'll post after editing. But it was still hard to see out the front windshield, even with the 10" extension :(... so if you guys know of better mounting positions, where you get to see driver input and out the front windshield, let me know.

Note: video is very boring lol
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhuCzJhJzAo[/youtube]

If you add a harness or roll bar you can mount your camera to it. I think that's where a lot of the track videos are shot from.

98RedGT

2012 #552
I just got GoPro Hero3 as well, curious to see what you find out works the best as far as mounts.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The farther back you go, the more wind noise you get. A remote mount mic near the exhaust would be perfect. For the mount, I made one that clamps to the headrest bars. Gives a good view through the windshield. I just wish I could get it to show my gauge cluster. They are set back really deep and lighting to them sucks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MemZrZ-sxR8[/youtube]

I didn't get the camera set up right to see the whole gauge, but you will see what I mean.

4dRacer said:
I just got GoPro Hero3 as well, curious to see what you find out works the best as far as mounts.

I too got the GoPro Hero 3 black edition for Christmas from my wife. Can't wait to mount it and do a little driving!

NFSBOSS said:
If you add a harness or roll bar you can mount your camera to it. I think that's where a lot of the track videos are shot from.

it's still to early for a roll cage lol, but you're correct that is the best way to mount it.

pufferfish said:
The farther back you go, the more wind noise you get. A remote mount mic near the exhaust would be perfect. For the mount, I made one that clamps to the headrest bars. Gives a good view through the windshield. I just wish I could get it to show my gauge cluster. They are set back really deep and lighting to them sucks.

Do you have the recaros? Because a headrest mountcan easily be mounted on the regular seats. ive also noticed that the seats move alot when no ones in it. do you happen to have a pic of your mount?

I use my GoPro's in several different mounting positions, a suction cup (the new ones), to the Windshield, to the side of the car and or I use the Head strap like in this video.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/gFCd9KFhAeA[/youtube]

pufferfish, i just watched your vid, and really liked it!
Do you usually go to summit point? that is my "home" track, being the closest to me. I might have some questions for you before i track the mustang lol.

rpm3dinc, the head strap is giving a great view of the steering wheel, shifter, and out the windshield. i may just mount the camera on my helmet at the track.

rpm: I like the view using the head strap! Are you wearing a hat with it? Also how many of your windows were down when recording? Just curious to know because the sound is good too without too much wind noise.

GA
Nice Summit Point vid. I'm glad to see the deer stayed in the woods. ;) I plan to put some of those deer whistle things on my car and head up there one day. :D

I noticed that there are dashed white lines in the center of the track in some places - was part of the Summit Point course a public road at one time?

PJWANNABE said:
...I noticed that there are dashed white lines in the center of the track in some places - was part of the Summit Point course a public road at one time?

Summit point is actually used to train fbi/cia/secret service. so track is paved like a street, with a crown in the middle, which makes it a very interesting and challenging track lol.
however, the white lines do make good indicators and markers.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Duh! I had not thought about the more fortunate folks with recaros! My mount would not work for you boss folks.

I really like the helmet cam! I like to have instructional videos of my "performance", to see how smooth I am, what speed I carry in turns, etc. is it annoying to have it attached to your head?

I have MANY track hours on summit main and the venerable Shenandoah (my favorite track to date). I instruct when I can for FATT, NASA and SCCA. I would be happy to offer advice any time.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
well, in preparation for this weekend's chilly event at VIR, i figured finding new camera placements were going to be more valuable than trying to squeeze seconds out of the track. i wanted to try out rpm3dinc's helmet cam idea. foiled again. i have an old-assed original go pro camera which doesn't have a wide view, so it doesn't have a big enough window to show the gauges and whats happening out the windshield. i have no place to bring it back to get a wider view. i had to place it on the chin area of the helmet, since i am too tall to have it on top of the helmet and i can't put it on the forehead area because my flip up face shield occupies that space when its up. gonna have to think of something else :mad:

Sesshomurai

One position I saw that I want to try (ok, that sounds bad I know) is a taller mount on the outside driver rear side window angled slightly to catch the whole driver window (and driver) but offer plenty of front view of the road. I saw a video with this (probably used a wide angle lens) and it was pretty cool.

You might also want to adjust your exposure and white balance so it will brighten the interior some without washing out the external light.

darreng505 said:
...You might also want to adjust your exposure and white balance so it will brighten the interior some without washing out the external light.

Darren, can that adjustment be done within the gopro, or is it a video editing software feature?

Sesshomurai

F.D. Sako said:
Darren, can that adjustment be done within the gopro, or is it a video editing software feature?

The gopro should have settings for it. I use Contour+2 and when I plug it into my computer I can adjust the various light balance parameters for the two view modes using the camera software. I would expect the gopro to work similar.

RPM: Can you use the suction cup mount (for the car) also for your helmet or is there another type of adapter needed? I went out and bought the head strap mount and can't wait to use it on our spring cruise.

Just want to figure out other mounts and/or places to put the camera.

SPRING CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors