The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gopro Vids from Last Session at Palm Beach

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couple of vids from my run at Palm Beach yesterday. After the first run I was about to take the tires off throw them out and drag the boss up on the trailer to go home. I was all over the place and did a little off-roading (first vid). I also went into a "S" lap one and looked more line a "I" non-turn. After the tires heat cycled and scuffed a bit it was better. Still had no where near the same confidence as I did with the factory tires but less worry about how much each lap was costing, lol.

In some ways it was good to learn to drive the Boss, the first time I could do no wrong since the Boss is so well setup.

On my 9 inch front rims, what is the widest tire I can use 265? Same with the rear 10 inch, how wide?

Warning vids are long

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUjM5XPj02Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac90mFEJSpg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN8oBB0sIqE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGQagj1WoM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYdO04pK0dQ[/youtube]

GA
Nice track- I will have to put that one on my list. I saw that you had some scary moments a couple of times. Did you drive by yourself? I recommend that you try a weekend with Hooked On Driving or National Auto Sports Association where you have an instructor with you to give you tips and show you how to drive the line. I did my very first track event solo at Barber Motorsports Park in my Bullitt, and knowing what I know now I wish I had requested an instructor when it was offered. It was fun but I took a lot of rubber off of my tires and felt beat up by the end of the day. Glad to see you didn't give up and stuck with it.

Awesome video. That white car in front of you in the first video didn't look street legal.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Don't attribute the understeer necessarily to the tires. The BOSS is still a 3800lb car with most drivers in it, and you need to slow that kind of weight down properly to get it turned in where you want it.

ArizonaGT said:
Don't attribute the understeer necessarily to the tires. The BOSS is still a 3800lb car with most drivers in it, and you need to slow that kind of weight down properly to get it turned in where you want it.

Hey now, I was completely consistent out there - at being inconsistent on every turn ;D There is no doubt the errors are on me, first time I came into the S too wide and fast. What I was saying is the difference in the tires between this run and the last. With the factory tires you could make mistakes and recover easier then with these. If I run Sebring next weekend I am thinking about putting the PZeros back on, since it will be my first time out there. Lots of turns on the 3.7 mile course.

I do want to learn more and appreciate all the help I have found on the boards but it will be a long time until I am timing laps. I am going to have fun and drive the Boss while still keeping a valid license. It is fun for me just to be out there, I am looking forward to my friend getting the LS and we can do some runs together.

That was a HOD event.

GA
2012Boss said:
That was a HOD event.

I have never driven an HOD event, only NASA, so I can only vouch for NASA HPDE as being a great way to learn. You won't be allowed to do Time Trials in NASA until you get all the way through the levels of the HPDE program (although you can time your HPDE laps for reference). During the last track day I did at Carolina Motorsports Park, I was consistently hitting the same lap time within 2-3 seconds. HOD has a day at the new Atlanta Motosports Park in September (provided they complete construction by then), so I plan to give them a try.

ArizonaGT said:
What tires did you run?

Did you remember to release air pressure to get you back to a proper "cold" pressure before each session?

I had Nitto 555 (not II's) That was also a problem way too much pressure to start. I tested the PZeros on the street before my first track event, there was a 4 PSI difference on the street hot. So I started at 37 and sure enough had to let out pressure after the first run. The next runs I was OK. Big difference on the Nittos, I started at 36, after the first run they were like 44-45 so I adjusted to 41 all around. Second run at least one was 44 another two were 42.5 and the last 42. Third run same thing let out .5 to 1.5 on different tires, after that it was OK. Live and learn but there was a big difference in how the tires reacted to heat, maybe because the Nittos were almost brand new and the PZeros had 600 miles on them.

I should have started lower but was afraid to be too low since I did not have a portable compressor.

HOD here is a fun time, number one rule is to enjoy the day. Anyone gets aggressive, they get pulled off the track. So far have not even seen anything close to that. Everyone is there for the same reason and nobody is getting pissed off if you don't see the guy behind you right away. I followed a slow car for over a lap, he never gave me a point-by and after they blue flagged him I did a pass. I was afraid I would get a flag but they said I did the right thing and talked to him. Real easy going, this time there was 15 cars total in two classes. After round two it became open track with passing rules, I still just did five runs as if they keep the schedule.

Had to share this pic, there were few drivers at this track event we ended up having the drivers meeting outside, right in front of a Boss 302 ;D

th_CIMG1505.jpg

Maybe I can make this my new avatar :-[

th_vlcsnap-00076.png

Guess I was a little worried at first but did some street testing with it. So far I have only use the suction cup on metal or glass. I was more worry about rough spots then about the speed but no issues at all.

I would like to do one up front on the bumper but would need to find a different way to mount it.

TMO Supporting Vendors