The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gorilla Glass by Corning for the Ford GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is pretty cool. You know this is going to trickle down to all cars at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENtstzpHU8

That is cool! Guessing it is very spendy. I am strongly looking at swapping out my rear window, maybe front as well, with polycarb as I need to find another 50 lbs. Even this is spendy at about $450 each versus $250 for stock glass.

My wife was reading that article to me the other night. I said, wow that's cool, maybe we should see if we can get a GT. The temperature dropped about 50 degrees instantly.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I see in Automotive News that MultiMatice will be constructing the new Ford GT. Estimated pricing? IIRC estimated in the $400,000 USD range.

Very interesting, and a true World Class Super Car. IMO

302 HP

When this trickles down to everyday cars, from what I heard in the video, all it is going to do for me is cause my nearly annual windshield replacements to be more expensive. Sure, it might save 10 lb, but so would losing 10 lb off my fat butt. Meanwhile, according to the video, the glass is actually regular auto glass on the outside and Gorilla Glass on the inside. That does nothing to prevent the issues we have in Colorado and other places in the west: the 1000 points of light shotpeening of our windshields by sand and rocks. If you've ever spent a year in Colorado, you know what I mean. A windshield here that is driven year round will end up with thousands of tiny pinprick holes in the glass. When you drive into the sun, this causes you to have almost zero visibility. Cracks are very common, too.

The insurance companies don't offer glass protection here, so you have to pay out of pocket for windshields. My three everyday cars all need a new windshield right now, all have pinpricks and two are also cracked. One of those took a rock hit and cracked literally an hour after I had the new glass installed. If I replace them now, I'll be looking at three more cracked/shotpeened windshields by spring.

One of the little known downsides to living here.

coboss said:
When this trickles down to everyday cars, from what I heard in the video, all it is going to do for me is cause my nearly annual windshield replacements to be more expensive. Sure, it might save 10 lb, but so would losing 10 lb off my fat butt. Meanwhile, according to the video, the glass is actually regular auto glass on the outside and Gorilla Glass on the inside. That does nothing to prevent the issues we have in Colorado and other places in the west: the 1000 points of light shotpeening of our windshields by sand and rocks. If you've ever spent a year in Colorado, you know what I mean. A windshield here that is driven year round will end up with thousands of tiny pinprick holes in the glass. When you drive into the sun, this causes you to have almost zero visibility. Cracks are very common, too.

The insurance companies don't offer glass protection here, so you have to pay out of pocket for windshields. My three everyday cars all need a new windshield right now, all have pinpricks and two are also cracked. One of those took a rock hit and cracked literally an hour after I had the new glass installed. If I replace them now, I'll be looking at three more cracked/shotpeened windshields by spring.

One of the little known downsides to living here.

Man that sounds rough. You need a windshield with tear offs.
Your paint must take a beating also.
Is it that bad year round or just winter time.

LS110 said:
That is cool! Guessing it is very spendy. I am strongly looking at swapping out my rear window, maybe front as well, with polycarb as I need to find another 50 lbs. Even this is spendy at about $450 each versus $250 for stock glass.

Have you looked at the OpticArmor windows that are made for our cars?

TMO Supporting Vendors