The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got a quote for ClearBra... wow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I asked for a quote on Clear Bra at http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/

I got this for the Boss:

Full hood – 550 (we can separate the film where the vinyl is located – the air vents are not covered)
Front bumper – 790 (lower black lip spoilers not covered)
Full front fenders – 790 (both sides)

That's 2130 dollars for less than a 3rd of the car. I'm sure they're good but... holy hell...
I'm wondering is it worth this much money or should I just go 'bare'?
I'd think I can have a fair amount of chips fixed at a body shop until I reach $2130.

Opinions?

I had the typical front install done for $595. That included the front bumper, grille surround, headlights, mirrors, and the front fenders and hood about 1/3 back. I did not do the A-pillars or the front edge of the roof.

5 DOT 0 said:
I had the typical front install done for $595. That included the front bumper, grille surround, headlights, mirrors, and the front fenders and hood about 1/3 back. I did not do the A-pillars or the front edge of the roof.

Hmm yes I was expecting 600-700 bucks so this was kind of a shock to me. Given the fact that these folks tend to do Lambos, Porsches and such I suppose it's not a surprise. I'm sure they'd do a stellar job but I can't really get myself to pay this much. I suppose I'll do some more research who else does this stuff well in the Bay Area for a somewhat more affordable amount.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wow that is highway robbery. I paid $695 for the hood, front bumper, grille surround, mirrors, door edges, door handle pockets, and front of the fenders, installed.

I'd suggest looking up another vendor :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TheMarco said:
And they did a quality job on yours? That sounds really good. I definitely want it, just not for 2 grand.

Yeah, I had them tint my windows and install my alarm at the same time; took about a day's worth of work. Clearbra is a must-do, IMO.

I bought the clear bra went to my paint shop got the chips fixed they told me not to put on the clear bra that it yellows and cracks I really dont think they know what they are talking about but they are a paint shop with awards all over their walls for show vehicles they have painted? Not surte what to do yet.

My body shop charges $400 per panel so a complete repaint of those surfaces would be $1600. I just did the leading 12" of the hood and front fenders for $250 and called it good. They take the bulk of the hits. Your plastic front bumper will dent but rarely chip. Remember the clear bra is only good for about 3-4 years then has to be replaced.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Paint shops don't like Clearbra-like products, they would rather you pay them for repainting. The best quality bras DO NOT fade or yellow. The 3M Clearbra is not the best product out there as far as looks are concerned but it does hold up over time. I was quoted $750 for front bumpers, 1/2 hood and 1/2 fenders - when the manufacturer of the bra I was quoted finally pops back in my head I'll post. I DO NOT have one of these installed on my Boss, becuase:

• I am still sinking significant cash into pads/rotors/wheels/tires
  • My brother-in-law owns a body shop ;D

I did mine myself. Cost about was $250. Pre cut 3M on EBAY. Did the roof and pillars too. I have put on a bit of vinyl in the past but this 3M is a lot harder to install. You really have to stretch it to install it. It really has saved the paint on the front end though!

I don't think that quote is correct, I wrapped my entire car for $2,800: (Actual Car is Satin Silver)

Flame1.jpg

Flame2.jpg

Flame3.jpg

That was custom graphics and printing and application.

A "Clear" protectant on the nose and hood should NOT be that expensive.

I wrapped a 72 Dodge Dart Hood about a year ago and it was $250 for vinyl, design, application.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
06mach1 said:
I did mine myself. Cost about was $250. Pre cut 3M on EBAY. Did the roof and pillars too. I have put on a bit of vinyl in the past but this 3M is a lot harder to install. You really have to stretch it to install it. It really has saved the paint on the front end though!

You have better chops than me - I tried installing the 3M on my hood and could not get it to comply. It may have been too cold, but still it does take some skill to get that stuff on and have it look right.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Llumar is considered one of the best films available for clear-bra protection. It's a thicker film than 3M, it has no texture like 3M does, it's guarenteed for 5+ years, and will not yellow. From what I heard is that it does not have UV protection thereby allowing the protected and unprotected areas to fade paint at the same rate. It is recommened to also protect headlights too.

You might want to consider protecting the rocker panels too, especially us 13 owners. I didn't see many posters mentioning this and I thought it should be a consideration in your decision.

Also, I did not misspell Llumar.

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
For that price I would just go without it. wait till the chips get pretty bad then have someone accidently key the front end of the car and claim it on insurance

Marco, that price sounds about right for this area at a high end shop. My friend had his whole car wrapped in flat grey (Porsche) and it cost $7k but included reapplying the stickers and stuff over it. If you go to the east bay, there are cheaper places that are supposed to do good work. I emailed another friend, he had a Z4M Coupe clear braed for a decent price in the east bay iirc.

Sacramento area prices are a lot lower, but it is a bit of a drive and you would have to sit around all day waiting.

This morning I called Omega Werks in Pleasanton. They have a very good reputation as well (read about this guy in some other car forums and on Yelp). He told me a front-end wrap shouldn't run more than 700-1000 depending on how much custom work I want and whether there is / will be a pre-cut kit for this car (he didn't know at this time whether there was).

Talked to my friend with the z4M, he paid about what your original estimate was and only got the front end. I had thought he had the whole car wrapped, so I was wrong.

CaliMR said:
Marco, that price sounds about right for this area at a high end shop. My friend had his whole car wrapped in flat grey (Porsche) and it cost $7k but included reapplying the stickers and stuff over it. If you go to the east bay, there are cheaper places that are supposed to do good work. I emailed another friend, he had a Z4M Coupe clear braed for a decent price in the east bay iirc.

Sacramento area prices are a lot lower, but it is a bit of a drive and you would have to sit around all day waiting.

I wouldn't mind too much taking a day off and driving to Sacramento to have it done if the quality is great and the price a lot lower. Do you know of any good places there that I could ask for a quote?

TMO Supporting Vendors