The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got hit...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some schmuck backed into my drivers side quarter panel just behind the wheel. Impact was right at the joint between the quarter and rear fascia, just above the back stripe. Pushed it in a couple of inches and completely flattened out the cosmetic seem at the back of the wheel arch. Anybody have any experience with a repair like this? Should I try to have it repaired or the quarter panel completely replaced?

This freaking sucks!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If it's not in the bumper cover section, it will have to be either cut and weld a new section in, or rehab the damaged section. The Quarter Panel is one stamping that runs along the rocker panel and side of roof, very difficult to replace as a "component".

For example:

530831_685945079064_378335809_n.jpg

I'm an appraiser for an insurance company and, based on the way you are describing it, it sounds repairable. If at all possible you definitely don't want to have to have the quarter panel cut or sectioned, as that involves drilling out factory welds, removing all sorts of interior trim pieces and most likely the rear window, and having another replacement panel welded in place. If the damage is minor or moderate always go with a quality repair at a reputable shop. Otherwise you leave yourself open to all sorts of things that can go wrong if a technician either doesn't know what they are doing, or simply is rushing and doesn't really care.

On this type of car I would not settle for anything less then the entire panel being replaced and not at a local shop. I think I would flip if someone hits my car I just hope I am not around.

The problem with replacing the qtr panel is that it is not a simple bolt on item. Cutting, trimming, and welding all have to happen if you go this route. It absolutely can be done but, because of all of the things that have to be removed, pulled back, or touched on the car, I would only choose that option if the quarter panel is too badly damaged for a quality repair.

Bay Area
I had some JACKA$$ back into my car and they left. The driver hit the rear left side of my upper quarter panel above the tail light and creased the body just slightly. I had my body shop do a body pull and it turned out pretty good. Fortunately it was a small area but still sucked being without my car for 12 days. Good luck on your repair.

One thing I can recommend to you. Make sure the body shop geta all of your parts in before they start the repair.

Sorry to hear that, I would be so pissed. You can file a "diminished value claim" against them to recover lost value.

These stories are exactly why my Boss is never parked anywhere near anyone else. By that, I mean I literally walk 1/4 mile if necessary to find a spot where NO ONE can hit the car. I also don't park in parking lots with shopping carts unless I have a protective barrier between the carts and the car.

I have just skipped going to the store a few times when I couldn't find a suitable spot.

True story. I have an Acura RSX I am selling. About a month ago, I went to the local Starbucks on the way to work. I parked on the very end space as usual, and I'm not kidding, there were TEN empty spaces between me and the next car closer to the shop. I came out two minutes later, and a woman in a Tahoe had just clipped my rear quarter behind the rear wheels trying to maneuver into the spot next to me. WTF? There were NINE spots closer she could have pulled into easily. At least I got her before she left. $1300 damage.

I have other stories about other cars, but I won't bore you. If you care about your Boss, you have to be defensive to the point of ridiculousness to keep idiots from hitting it. Stupidity is rampant, and you must be vigilant to keep your car safe.

There are some really good or better saying great shops out there youve herd of them well make sure it gets to one and you will be happy in the end. It's a car and very fixable. So it is the back quarter panel that is basic part of the main body? If so just tell them you want it replaced not welded or bondoed. I believe they have to do that for you.

coboss said:
These stories are exactly why my Boss is never parked anywhere near anyone else. By that, I mean I literally walk 1/4 mile if necessary to find a spot where NO ONE can hit the car. I also don't park in parking lots with shopping carts unless I have a protective barrier between the carts and the car.

I have just skipped going to the store a few times when I couldn't find a suitable spot.

True story. I have an Acura RSX I am selling. About a month ago, I went to the local Starbucks on the way to work. I parked on the very end space as usual, and I'm not kidding, there were TEN empty spaces between me and the next car closer to the shop. I came out two minutes later, and a woman in a Tahoe had just clipped my rear quarter behind the rear wheels trying to maneuver into the spot next to me. WTF? There were NINE spots closer she could have pulled into easily. At least I got her before she left. $1300 damage.

I have other stories about other cars, but I won't bore you. If you care about your Boss, you have to be defensive to the point of ridiculousness to keep idiots from hitting it. Stupidity is rampant, and you must be vigilant to keep your car safe.
Agreed!

I had a new 2009 GT convertible with 4,000 miles on it get backed into by a taxi driver and he had the mind to argue the fact he hit it and drove off when there was his yellow paint on the passenger door.

I had good success with someone hitting my car (and then LSOA) at work with the local dealerships paintless dent removal.

The flattened out the rear wheel lip between the rear wheel and the door.

I don't have useful advice, just offering moral support. I would probably flip the f out if some careless asshole even nudged my bumper in a parking lot, and I am a very non confrontational, easy going person...normally.

Truth is ...you are at everyone/ anyone's else's mercy everytime you take your Boss out on the road, parking lot or even the track. That's the chance you take to enjoy your ride. Garage Queens are exempt....except for mice eating their wires.

TMO Supporting Vendors