The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GOT IT!! Now, what do you fellows recommend for a good wax...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want something that protects, keeps a good shine, and makes bug removal easy. I need something that is easy, or, knowing my lazy ass, I won't do it. I want something that can go over the decals also, and not leave that white stuff around the edges. Cost doesn't matter.

Love this new Boss! brought it home last night. Competition Orange, with both options.

This is my first new car. I am 52 years old, probably won't live another 52, so it is time to play! I have always bought used vehicles all my life, and laying down 469 hundred dollar bills depleted my stash in the ammo can, and paying that for a car is probably the most foolish thing I have ever done, so I want to take good care of it. Got it slightly over 130 MPH on the way home last night!

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Jeff Quinn

Congratz Jeff on your new BOSS.

Enjoy the hell out of it!

I don't have any recommendation for a good wax but maybe this will work for you until you decide on the best wax for you. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer and I have been very happy with the results and protection that it provides between washes.

Robert

Nice going, Jeff. Congratulations - enjoy!

Wax preferences are kind of like beer preferences - you usually know what to avoid and also usually have a favorite brand. Most of the waxes/sealants are synthetic. Mothers, Meguires Turtle Wax all have a variant. I used to use a DuPont teflon wax that worked very well for me but isn't available any more. Now I'm using Turtle Wax Ice and it seems very good, although since it dries fairly clear it isn't as easy to see if you've buffed it all off. Meguires Ultimate has good press as well. Then there's the clay bar offerings for super serious folk if you want to eat off your car finish when you're through.

Now if you can get a pro sports cheerleader to wax your car for you you'll have hit the lottery! Of course then you may not care so much which brand she's using as long as it is from a name manufacturer!

Have a great time with your new car - post some pics when you can.

Here is a picture with my 1973 Mach 1 351 Cobra Jet

The old one is cool, but this new Boss is awesome! It is just as smooth at 130 as it is at 50. Some cars get really spooky over 100, but not this new Boss.

Stangs.jpg

jimprw said:
Nice going, Jeff. Congratulations - enjoy!

Wax preferences are kind of like beer preferences - you usually know what to avoid and also usually have a favorite brand. Most of the waxes/sealants are synthetic. Mothers, Meguires Turtle Wax all have a variant. I used to use a DuPont teflon wax that worked very well for me but isn't available any more. Now I'm using Turtle Wax Ice and it seems very good, although since it dries fairly clear it isn't as easy to see if you've buffed it all off. Meguires Ultimate has good press as well. Then there's the clay bar offerings for super serious folk if you want to eat off your car finish when you're through.

Now if you can get a pro sports cheerleader to wax your car for you you'll have hit the lottery! Of course then you may not care so much which brand she's using as long as it is from a name manufacturer!

Have a great time with your new car - post some pics when you can.

Considering the color of the car, I was thinking something like this:

53_nicole1.jpg

jec246

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/cleaning-your-boss/

Some good stuff there.

I use meguiars nxt paste wax on my triblaze paint,its easy to apply and remove and I have not had a problem with the striping,its makes even a light car like mine look wet and lasts a a while.I use meguiars ultimate quick detailer between washes.I use nothing but meguiars on my car so i am a little bias,check out their website and try the meguairs rx for your car its pretty cool. ;D

I agree on maguires for sure but I did the 5carshine process first wow what a difference but do it exactly the way they say and use filtered water so there are no water spots.

I just polished and sealed my Boss this weekend. My new product of choice is "Blackfire Wet Diamond with Poloycharger". I ordered it from detailedimage.com. I also purchased the Blackfire deep gloss spray. I will say this is the best sealant I've used (I've used a lot: Zaino, Blacklight, Jetseal, NXT 2.0...list goes on). What I like: easy application, after it hazes it wipes right off.....no smearing, no effort. The shine is outstanding. My competition orange has never looked this good. As for how long it lasts, I can't comment....my car gets sealed to often.

My first post on the forum.
Hi everyone.

I've used alot of good waxes including most of the brands previously mentioned
they are all good. Some cause more wax dust than others.

IMHO , ZYMOL is the one wax stands head and shoulders above the rest. The surface has be good before waxing. Your car is brand new, so it's ready to go. It is zero abrasion wax so you do not let it dry. Apply it and rub it in like polish. Best shine possible. Long lasting and won't leave wax on decal edges because you rub it in. I can tell by your post this is the wax for you. You mentioned cost is not an issue and that's good because it's $50 for a normal size container!
I'm 57, and as one middle aged car guy to another go to Zymol.com. Trust me, you will thank me.
BTW, I hope to grab a 2013 Boss 302 in the Spring

If you are looking for protection and something that makes the finish slicker, I strongly suggest researching Opt Coat 2.0.

I've put it on 3 of our cars. So far I'm happy with it after about 3 weeks.

I don't drive my LS much but after a couple of drives, there was quite a bit of brake dust on the wheels. With my electric pressure washer it rinsed right off without touching it or any cleaners.

FYI. Research it because you have to put it on correctly because it's permanent.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/41657-first-endeavor-opticoat-2-0-a.html

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I agrees with you guys on Meguire's, I use their waxws as well as their Polishing Compound. One other thing to try is the GlassCoat product that's available from Ford directly - it may be avaialble from SImoniz also (I havn't checked). I just picked up my black Laguna Seca 2 weeks ago and the dealer (SARAT Ford in Agawam, MA) gave me a bottle of Simoniz GlassCoat for free. Reportedly if you have Ford do the application for you it's a $300 charge (not sure abiout that). This stuff is not a wax, it's a polymer based agent that supposedly bonds with the clear coat of your car. I will say this after the application (which is very easy) water flies off the paint better than any wax I've used. I took the car to a self-wash car wash yesterday which uses well water that is ususally pretty hard, it leaves water spots if you don't dry the car off by hand quickly after the wash. With the GlassCoat on the water just rolls right off, I drove home quickly the dry the car and by the time I got home all the water peeeld away and there were no spots whatsoever. I guess that this stuff plus a good wax will keep the paint looking great for years to come - that's if the track doesn't chew it up first ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors