The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got my Track Key installed and now detonation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got my track key installed and it now seems to be detonation under heavy acceleration. ??? If I use the silver key it's fine. I filled the rig up last night with 93 octane shell last night too. Anyone have this happen yet? The car is currently at the dealer undergoing investigation.

Superlead76 said:
I just got my track key installed and it now seems to be detonation under heavy acceleration. ??? If I use the silver key it's fine. I filled the rig up last night with 93 octane shell last night too. Anyone have this happen yet? The car is currently at the dealer undergoing investigation.
Wow, no I haven't. Did you have 91+ in the tank prior to filling up with 93? The only thought is if you had <91 octane in before filling up, you could have been burning some low octane fuel before the 93 fully mixed in with the existing.

It's a bit chilly for me to test heavy acceleration right now, but when it warms up again I'll check mine out for you.

I'm going to be the boob in the crowd that needs a better understanding of what you are talking about. What do you mean by "seems to be detonation under heavy acceleration"? Can you clarify a bit for us that are still a bit on the race car learning curve?

I am holding off on track key until all of you guys have beta tested it, so this has caught my attention. ;)

P.S. - Good luck, I hope this situation doesn't turn out bad for you. :(

GA
Superlead76 said:
No. That's the weird thing. It's always had 93 in it since new. They're calling ford.

You have to be careful where you buy gas. Some places will pass 89 or 87 for 91+. This can happen at major brands too since they are independently owned.

Superlead76 said:
No. That's the weird thing. It's always had 93 in it since new. They're calling ford.
Maybe you got the "good" pre-CARB tune ;) Fill it up with some 104 Sunoco and hit the dyno :D

J/K, hopefully they get it sorted quick for you and you're back on the road. "Bad" gas as PJWANNABE suggested is certainly a possibility I guess, I've just never run into it before. That said, I'm pretty consistent where I buy gas for the Mustangs, especially the tuned supercharged one.

DieselRocket said:
I'm going to be the boob in the crowd that needs a better understanding of what you are talking about. What do you mean by "seems to be detonation under heavy acceleration"? Can you clarify a bit for us that are still a bit on the race car learning curve?
It's also know as knocking and can happen to any engine not just race cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

My experience with Shell gas is not the best, I think it has to do with their nitrogen enriched additive. Even on the dyno I see a loss of HP with Shell. Try switching to another brand. e.g. Texaco

GA
MrGT5oh said:
My experience with Shell gas is not the best, I think it has to do with their nitrogen enriched additive. Even on the dyno I see a loss of HP with Shell. Try switching to another brand. e.g. Texaco

I get the best results with BP.

5 DOT 0 said:
DieselRocket said:
It's also know as knocking and can happen to any engine not just race cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Thanks 5 DOT 0 - :) I understand knocking, but new to the term detonation, never called it that. Gracias.

Really sounds like you had 89 fuel in it be carefull where you buy your fuel Ive had no problems with the track key but can tell it changes enough that you better have good gas in it some cheap gas stations will do stupid things and I am willing to bet the gas is 89 let me ask you this do you always buy from the same gas station or same few stations? Who are they? How many miles on your car if it is new I am not sure Ford puts 91 or better from the dealership. One more thing my dealership called one of their guys that have alot of expeirence with tunes to come there and put mine in the right way. Who installed yours? check up on these things detonation will kill a motor but it is also caused by bad or low octane fuel or timing. Hope any of this helps you out. one good thing is these motors are built rock solid so it will take a whole lot to hurt it.

So one week later.....I have filled up again with 93 Octane. Sunoco this time. Again...same result. My dealer called Ford and they told them that they have had some reports of this and are working on it. They told me to wait until the tank reaches half and them smash the gas and see what happens. If it persists..call them back. Just thought I'd give you an update.

Superlead76 said:
So one week later.....I have filled up again with 93 Octane. Sunoco this time. Again...same result. My dealer called Ford and they told them that they have had some reports of this and are working on it. They told me to wait until the tank reaches half and them smash the gas and see what happens. If it persists..call them back. Just thought I'd give you an update.
That's weird. Please keep us updated.

I wonder if this has to do with ethanol in the gas your using. I checked some local gas in my area and found that Sunoco was one of the worst gas around in my area anyway. You know the law that required all stations to post on the pumps if their gas has ethanol has been appealed and they don't have to post it anymore, so you will not know unless you test it yourself.

I would think that any tune these days is going to take into consideration that there may be some ethanol in the fuel tank... Normal gas these days is a blend that does not exceed 10% ehtanol.

TMO Supporting Vendors