The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got some track stuff in the mail.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photo4dz.jpg

Now I just have to bleed the brakes, and swap pads the day before the track day.

No on the brake ducting, or the transmission scoop. I am going to see how it goes first. I probably will need the ducting but I am not going to buy something until I know I need it. I went with PFC 06 compound over the 01s, they are a little easier on rotors and almost as good as the 01s. No, I haven't bought track only rotors yet. This will be my first day on the track in this car and I plan to upgrade it as necessary. I usually always start with pads and fluid and go from there. I will let you guys know how the pads do, though I know they will do well. PFC pads are generally thought to be the best around and I have had good experiences in the past. I have been surprised to see that everyone has been running Hawks, most other track day gurus in other car circles run PFC or Ferodo.

When you decide to go with the brake duct kit (when, not if) I have a brand new one that was going on my GT500. I don't need it anymore. ;D

I use the PFC 01s in the front and 97s in the back on mine. I'm really surprised how long they are holding up.

Drew and Smitty, I am interested in trying these and would appreciate if you could give an idea how long they end up lasting (days and how many runs). That is going to be a major factor in choosing new future pads.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
Why are you switching from the Hawk's?

I have had lots of experience w/ the Hawk DTC-xx and HT-xx lines, they work well but I'd like to see what else is out there.
Switching more for competitive evaluation than performance, although the PF01s are supposed to have an additional 400*F of operating range above the Hawk DTC70s, which could be helpful in a heavy car like ours.

I am currently looking for something else as well. My last front set (DTC70) lasted like two days...... The rears are fine.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
adam81 said:
I am currently looking for something else as well. My last front set (DTC70) lasted like two days...... The rears are fine.

Two days wow. I'm going on three events with this front set, but they will be gone after this weekend (third event). I think these pads just disintegrate when they get near that 1600*F range.

smittytx said:
When you decide to go with the brake duct kit (when, not if) I have a brand new one that was going on my GT500. I don't need it anymore. ;D

I use the PFC 01s in the front and 97s in the back on mine. I'm really surprised how long they are holding up.

LOL, I suspect you are right. Shoot me price shipped or picked up if you happen to be in Houston.

bolecailey said:
smittytx said:

LOL, I suspect you are right. Shoot me price shipped or picked up if you happen to be in Houston.

Let me see what I paid for it. I'll be at MSR Houston in two weeks.

bolecailey said:
Is someone hosting a track day there, I wouldn't mind trying to make it.

There is a Driver's Edge event there this weekend. It's a fun group and you'll learn a lot. They are pretty full but you can call Rick at 817 988-5027 and see if he has any spots open. Here is a link to the event
https://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm It's a lot of fun.

I will be there next weekend for NASA. Stop by and check it out. This will be my first NASA event. You can also sign up for NASA HPDE. Just go to their website.
http://nasaproracing.com/event/1372

ArizonaGT said:
Nice. That SRF better work well considering how much it costs.

Going PF01 on the fronts after next week's event! Already have '97s out back.

I hope you bought the PFO1s already because they just had a huge price increase. I’m going to try the 97s up front. From what I hear the 97s should do fine for me unless I’m on a faster track, 120 is about all I can get out of my local track. The 97s are cheaper and will last longer, should be a little easier on my rotors too.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Negative, was going to wait to pull the trigger until next month! I may have to re-examine my options if they took a significant hike.

Looks like their prices are the same for now, and also looks like they have introduced some new compounds (05,07,08) as well, around the same price: TopBrakes

Smitty--does your 302S have the "regular" Brembo calipers that come on the street cars, or do all the S-models come with the Trophy Kit Brembos? Not sure if the pad shape is different (or just thicker) for the trophy kit.

smittytx said:
bolecailey said:
Is someone hosting a track day there, I wouldn't mind trying to make it.

There is a Driver's Edge event there this weekend. It's a fun group and you'll learn a lot. They are pretty full but you can call Rick at 817 988-5027 and see if he has any spots open. Here is a link to the event
https://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm It's a lot of fun.

I will be there next weekend for NASA. Stop by and check it out. This will be my first NASA event. You can also sign up for NASA HPDE. Just go to their website.
http://nasaproracing.com/event/1372

I fired off an email to the NASA group to see if they would let my dad and I run in the standard HPDE group since the novice group is full. I have only run at grandsport and have really been wanting to go to motorsports ranch. I doubt they will, but they said they will make considerations for past experience. I have a lot of experience in shifter karts, a few track days, a bunch of autocrosses, went to bondurant for my 16th birthday, and have done a few open track days and my dad raced formula continentals in the SCCA for 5 or more years, and did a bunch of open track days so maybe they will let us slot in. If not, I will be at grandsport with the lotus club.

ArizonaGT said:
Negative, was going to wait to pull the trigger until next month! I may have to re-examine my options if they took a significant hike.

Looks like their prices are the same for now, and also looks like they have introduced some new compounds (05,07,08) as well, around the same price: TopBrakes

Smitty--does your 302S have the "regular" Brembo calipers that come on the street cars, or do all the S-models come with the Trophy Kit Brembos? Not sure if the pad shape is different (or just thicker) for the trophy kit.

I'm not sure which ones they are, but I do know that the pads for my GT500 Brembos will not fit my Boss. My PFC01s are 25mm

TMO Supporting Vendors