The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got to drive a S550 at the track today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Our Mustang club rented a local track for the day and asked me to help out as a instructor. My Boss is still in the Shop so I climbed in and out of every ones card all day. Did get to drive a modified 2015 with a kooks setup, springs and 295/305 Yokohama AD08R. Was a very easy car to drive, made the boss feel like a biting snarling beast. Since it was not my car I did not drive it all out. but still managed to get the same time as my boss had with 275 square dunlops going flat out.. But was really impressed how stable the car was.... I guess things do advance after all!! But I like snarling and biting....

Also helped out on a 2013 GT that was lowered without LCA brackets. Its LCA angle must haven been at least 4 degrees *up*... (CORRECTION...down! MEGA SQUAT) from the axle looking forward..... Despite the best efforts of the driver, the tail was very stable... hmmm

Last edited:
I drove an S550 at an auto show and even putting it around (under the watchful eye of the Ford marketing girl) I could tell it handled way better out of the box than my 2012. Even worse is how good the Coyote engine is compared to my 4.6L after I poured a ton of money into the motor.

Like you said...looks like Ford has actually made some improvements over the years!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well, I had an '11 Track pack GT and my wife pretty much refused to ride in it on anything other than a super highway. It was a bit of a beast to drive at times, definitely made you feel like a hair chested man driver. The '16 car is way more refined and far easier to drive quickly. And my wife will ride in it on any road. Priceless.

Its LCA angle must haven been at least 4 degrees up from the axle looking forward
If the chassis was lowered, and no brackets, how is 4* up possible? I would take a look under there.
Explains the stability, AND I bet it had real good rear bite when putting the power down.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If the chassis was lowered, and no brackets, how is 4* up possible? I would take a look under there.
Explains the stability, AND I bet it had real good rear bite when putting the power down.

My Bad... four degrees down from the axle towards the front of the car.......mega squat! Its IC must have been somewhere under the track surface.... I will edit the post

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks for the data point. I might have to swap brackets back to the FRPP units for the higher adjustment points on the GT/FakeR.

Just wait till you get to drive a GT350. Easier and better than a S550 GT.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Well, I had an '11 Track pack GT and my wife pretty much refused to ride in it on anything other than a super highway. It was a bit of a beast to drive at times, definitely made you feel like a hair chested man driver. The '16 car is way more refined and far easier to drive quickly. And my wife will ride in it on any road. Priceless.
That's the way I felt when I went from the SN95s (both IRS and quadrabind) to S197s. The progress has been great for us all!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks for the data point. I might have to swap brackets back to the FRPP units for the higher adjustment points on the GT/FakeR.

Just wait till you get to drive a GT350. Easier and better than a S550 GT.

Luck would have it that the only GT350 in Chile so far is a Club member! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors