The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Grand-Am GS Round 8 at Laguna Seca July 8-9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Thanks for the report and photos, guys! Any new and interesting things about the Boss and/or Boss 302R you can share? To be honest, I would love to know more details about the race cars. Don't know why. :p

Good luck to the Bosses this weekend!

Jimmy

They don't use an over the engine brace like the street cars. The sheet metal seams are either fully welded or in some cases skip-welded in addition to the spot welds. This gives them all the rigidity they need. They use different struts, Ford Racing mufflers that drop 14 lbs, and no rev limit. They use two piece drive shafts to avoid vibration, different ABS logic which I think Mark said will be available soon, and a not off the shelf transmission.

Here's a link to all the pics I took. 136 pics but not all of them Ford Mustangs. http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54/FatDiesel/Boss%20302/Laguna%20July%208%202011/

We need to look into lowering the splitter. A well placed source said that makes a huge difference in down force. Also confirmed the 302S hood makes a lot of difference as well.

Now I'm off to.... my niece's 1st birthday instead of going to the race. :'(

Fat Boss said:
They don't use an over the engine brace like the street cars. The sheet metal seams are either fully welded or in some cases skip-welded in addition to the spot welds. This gives them all the rigidity they need. They use different struts, Ford Racing mufflers that drop 14 lbs, and no rev limit. They use two piece drive shafts to avoid vibration, different ABS logic which I think Mark said will be available soon, and a not off the shelf transmission.

Here's a link to all the pics I took. 136 pics but not all of them Ford Mustangs. http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54/FatDiesel/Boss%20302/Laguna%20July%208%202011/

We need to look into lowering the splitter. A well placed source said that makes a huge difference in down force. Also confirmed the 302S hood makes a lot of difference as well.

Thanks! Those are the kind of little details I love. I looked at the pictures and saw some other little details, too. In one photo, it looks like the rear sway bar is actually smaller than the stock Boss. Also, while it is interesting what you say about the front splitter, I just noticed that they don't even run with the Boss splitter, much less the LS splitter. I wonder if that is a rule compromise, or if that was by choice for aero balance. I guess spring rates are Top Secret? :-X

Thanks again for the report and photos.

Jimmy

Jimmy it's a rule none of the cars in the GS class are allowed to use splitters.

Jimmy Pribble said:
* * * SPOILERS * * *

Okay guys, we are almost on Page 3 of this thread and the race is over. If you don't want to know about the race or hear spoilers, go away. Here is some video. It might spark conversation you don't want to hear. Seriously, go away. What are you doing in here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQz8Mfk4gc

:'(

Jimmy
I missed part of it when those sausage fingers blocked my view, they both walked away thats good

I should have been taking notes...

Don't bother moving the battery to the trunk.
Don't worry about weight savings in the back, focus on the front.
"Massage" the "PCV-like valve" on the passenger side to flow more, prevent oil blowing out the drivers side.
Don't prioritize upgrading the rear brakes.
Steel shot in the panhard bar is for NVH reduction.
They run the Motorcraft 5W-50.
Lower the front splitter with custom cut hard foam, increases down-force significantly.

Fat Boss said:

Man, I love this stuff. Still, aren't those two things up there related? Focus on front weight savings, but not the second heaviest thing in the engine room. Huh? What's the thing I'm missing? It must be something, because I can't see that anybody has moved the battery. To me, that's always like item number 1 or 2 on the to-do list.

Jimmy

Well Mark did say they might move the battery to the trunk for the 2012 season. The race cars are required to use stock batteries but he did caution using lightweight batteries due to the sensitivity of the electronics.

The PVC valve comment was related to his suggestion of adding an oil separator if you track your car. The race cars use a large can mounted to the firewall and both sides are vented into the can.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Fat Boss said:

Man, I love this stuff. Still, aren't those two things up there related? Focus on front weight savings, but not the second heaviest thing in the engine room. Huh? What's the thing I'm missing? It must be something, because I can't see that anybody has moved the battery. To me, that's always like item number 1 or 2 on the to-do list.

Jimmy
+1 BMWs and Camaros have their batteries in the trunk from the factory. Their's probably a reason for that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel