The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Grand Am Round #1 Daytona Speedway 1/27

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good luck to all the Ford teams this weekend.

Mark, the new Fusion looks fantastic. Do the NASCAR aero demands have any influence on the design of the street cars body? If so how much?

c3b0d504355abbd4503d054b7dba52e8.jpg

Too many cautions, took away from the race. I was hoping Dean would pull out a victory today but he never had a chance to race green after pitting and dropping back in the field. He was running very strong all day and ran some of the fastest laps in practice. Rich Golinello was a last minute fill in for Rehagen and I thought (know) he ran very well in the first half. Toward the end of the day there was hardly two laps under green until another caution came out.

Joe and Scott looked strong going in, I don't know where they finished but it was not up front. The MultiMatic Focus had a bad day, very hard hit in the bus stop. The MultiMatic team was very nice as always but had some TV star running in the 71 car and the crowd grew too big so I moved on.

It was a fun day for my first Grand Am race. They had a dyno setup at the Mustang corral but I never made it back over to put the Boss on, my only regret today. Had the pleasure to meet site member Badhorse (Mark) - soon to be Boss owner. When Grand Am comes to your town look him up, really nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Some pictures from today, not the best since it was a low priority but I did get to take a few from the pits (Dean snuck me passed security ;D ) Later it was quite a sight when they unloaded two Cobra Jets, which I think will be testing at PBIR this week. Brings back memories of the drag racing days but I guess I am a track rat now :).

Album Here 48 pics
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/ssjrsw/Grand%20Am%20Datona/

CIMG2700.jpg
CIMG2703.jpg
CIMG2709.jpg
CIMG2716.jpg
CIMG2729.jpg
CIMG2734.jpg
CIMG2739.jpg
CIMG2745.jpg
CIMG2748.jpg

Nice to see a Boss in the winners circle but great finish for Charlie. For those that don't know one of the drivers on the 48 second place car is an instructor at the Miller Boss Track Attack.

BTW If someone can record this and upload the race that would be great since I do not have the speed channel.

2012YellowBoss said:
Nice to see a Boss in the winners circle but great finish for Charlie. For those that don't know one of the drivers on the 48 second place car is an instructor at the Miller Boss Track Attack.

BTW If someone can record this and upload the race that would be great since I do not have the speed channel.

Great race for Ford I can't wait to watch it!

Here's a couple of pics of Charlie breaking down the track and strategy to Kenny, you, phytrpilot, Rick, Myself, and Phil. What a great teacher. So nice having him in my car at Track Attack, patiently working with me. I'm happy for him.

QA1O4006.jpg

QA1O4025.jpg

I was up at turn one, the incident happened at the same time as the contact wreck in the tri-oval. I had heard there was contact between the focus and another car but later read on the Grand-Am site it was a cut tire.

The Focus was taken out going into the bus stop when it was hit from behind by one of the Kia's. Funny how the cut tire mysteriously inflated itself before the car made it back to the paddock. Gunnar's fine but the car is totalled. :mad:

We will have one or two more at the next race!

Billy drove his a*s off to stay ahead of the BMW's. It's clear that the restricts put on BMW's weren't as effective as they were supposed to be.......

mwilson7 said:
The Focus was taken out going into the bus stop when it was hit from behind by one of the Kia's. Funny how the cut tire mysteriously inflated itself before the car made it back to the paddock. Gunnar's fine but the car is totalled. :mad:

Billy drove his a*s off to stay ahead of the BMW's. It's clear that the restricts put on BMW's weren't as effective as they were supposed to be.......
That's awesome Mark. We'll take 1st over 2nd-7th any day ;)

mwilson7 said:

LOL, if I read it on the internet it must be true, right?

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.cfm?series=k&cid=51048

GrandAmNews said:
The race's most significant incident occurred on lap 40 when Kyle Gimple in the No. 198 Cruise America Mini Cooper swerved to avoid a car slowing in front of him on the frontstretch and drifted up into the No. 23 Weather Tech BMW of Terry Borcheller. That put both into the wall, bringing out the race's fourth caution. At the same time, the No. 15 of Gunnar Jeannette cut a tire and wrecked on the backstretch chicane. All three ST drivers were evaluated at the Infield Care Center and released.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
mwilson7 said:

Mark, if you guys aren't running video in every car, this is prime reason to do it. Don't count on the event guys to capture any misfortune; on the POSITIVE side, it would give race fans the opportunity to see an unbroadcasted angle via youtube. I really liked watching the in-race footage from Multimatic's new Aston Martin!

BJ can drive; that's all there is to it. Thank god he is in a Mustang in CTSCC as I know Turner recognized his talents and got him into a BMW for Rolex GT.

We do but we don't have rearward facing cameras. Ironically enough the Kia's both had tv cameras on them but it never was aired. In the end it really doesn't matter. It wasn't on purpose and the driver did come over and apologize.

Race highlights, caught the tail end of the Focus incident.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFu34li314[/youtube]

Miller's run pre-race

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIMu3gL_GL4[/youtube]

and the whole race from the Miller Boss 302R

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVtVYdAHyhA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4WOSu9rtLY[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors