The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Grand Am Round #2 Barber Motorsports Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.

Here is a link (hope it works) to all the ticket options.
https://events.cuetoems.com/indy/OnlineTicketSales.aspx

As info: the Porsche club is having some open track days on March 3-4.
Here is a link to the track schedule. There are open track days almost every month.
http://www.barbermotorsports.com/indy/2011-calendar.php

-- Jim

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.

Here is a link (hope it works) to all the ticket options.
https://events.cuetoems.com/indy/OnlineTicketSales.aspx

As info: the Porsche club is having some open track days on March 3-4.
Here is a link to the track schedule. There are open track days almost every month.
http://www.barbermotorsports.com/indy/2011-calendar.php

-- Jim

I'll be there Saturday for sure, maybe some Friday. Don't know about Sunday.

If you look at the event map, how do you get to park in area E (Car Corral)? [pdf]http://www.barbermotorsports.com/indy/documents/2012HondaGrandPrixofALMap.pdf[/pdf]

Try this link. The Car Corral tickets are at the very bottom. Looks like you might need to be a member of a participating club (can't exactly tell). Maybe call the number at the bottom for more details.

https://events.cuetoems.com/Indy/OnlineTicketSales.aspx?corral=1

GA
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Try this link. The Car Corral tickets are at the very bottom. Looks like you might need to be a member of a participating club (can't exactly tell). Maybe call the number at the bottom for more details.

https://events.cuetoems.com/Indy/OnlineTicketSales.aspx?corral=1

If you go through the checkout you select the car or club in a pull-down menu. The only choice for Fords was "Mustang". I assume Mustangs will all be parked together. I don't know if Ford Performance Group will be there doing anything special for Mustang owners.

I am thinking about going. I can go to the race on Saturday and then run on AMP on Sunday. :)

PJWANNABE said:
If you go through the checkout you select the car or club in a pull-down menu. The only choice for Fords was "Mustang". I assume Mustangs will all be parked together. I am thinking about going. I can go to the race on Saturday and then run on AMP on Sunday. :)
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Georgia
I have been attending this race since 2006, was a lot easier to get around before the event was combined with the Indy car race. The crowd's are MUCH larger now.

That being said, the E parking lot (where the car corral is located) is actually a great location. I usually sit under the pine trees across the road from the lot where I can see across 4 portions of the track. Last year there was only 6 Mustangs in the corral, mostly European cars...

I would not opt for the parking across from the main entrance to the track. It is a gravel parking lot (unless it was paved since last Summer) and you still have to catch a tram.

The off site parking, located at the old horse track, is free and they have a lot of buses running continuously. Pretty convenient if you do not want to park in the corral.

Hope to see some of you there this year! :)

GA
I am very much leaning toward going to Barber on Saturday and AMP on Sunday. I was thinking about living large and doing the Billy's Sports Grill Club. Has anyone watched the race from there? Is it worth the money or is it a waste?

PJWANNABE said:
I am very much leaning toward going to Barber on Saturday and AMP on Sunday. I was thinking about living large and doing the Billy's Sports Grill Club. Has anyone watched the race from there? Is it worth the money or is it a waste?

I had Billys Club tickets in 2010. Friday and Saturday were great, but they sold too many tickets for the Sunday IRL race and it was very crowded – long lines for the food. Good selection of “drinks”, though. All open bar. Good parking pass, too – access to the lot directly across from Billy’s.

Did not go to the race in 2011, but they advertised fewer tickets being sold. I notice this year a couple of new things. On-site parking is free for Friday and Saturday – but I don’t know which lots. Open bar restricted to three drinks (cash bar afterward).

It can get very hot and humid here in Alabama and, if so, the shade and air conditioning in Billy’s is the best thing about it. In 2010 the weather was perfect, so that was not such a big deal. The view of the track is not the best, but it is pretty good. Like all road courses you will get a different flavor of the race from different viewing areas. I think the best view is from the hillside across from the Car Corral, down by the statue of the Indian – near where the TV camera will be set up. I generally walk around a lot on Friday and Saturday Morning – the club ticket includes paddock pass. In 2010 you could not see the track well from inside the club (plastic windows). The view from the tables on the porch and from the grassy area outside were good. Of course everyone wants one of those seats. If you leave to view for a while from a different place your seat will be gone when you get back.

I have attached a few photos from 2010 taken from the club and a couple taken of the club from out by the track so you can get an idea of the viewing area. I plan to be at Billy’s on Friday and Saturday – am skipping the Sunday race this year. Note: some pics telephoto.

JCM_5803.jpg

JCM_5809.jpg

JCM_5874.jpg

JCM_5876.jpg

JCM_5880.jpg

JCM_5886.jpg

JCM_6025.jpg

JCM_6026.jpg

Nice pics, looks like a great way to watch the race. I talked about going with a friend here but will not make it this year. I heard many teams talking about the crowd at Daytona this year, I have never been to a Grand-Am race before so I can not directly compare myself. It is possible that the crowd was bigger because of the 50Th anniversary this year of the Rolex but maybe the sport is getting more popular with all the new high performance cars hitting the market these days, lets hope so.

GA
Thanks for the pictures and tips. It looks like a way to avoid lugging a bunch of stuff around too. I doubt most of the other people I would hang out with will spring for Billy's, so it makes me wonder how much time I would spend there. I will have to think about it.

GA
I got my ticket, paddock pass, and corral parking for Saturday. I might try Billy's another time- I wasn't sure if was worth the extra hundred bucks now, but in the summer it would be for the AC.

I got the news that Atlanta Motorsports Park won't be open in time, so the HOD date has been moved to May 18th. That probably would have been pretty crazy anyway to get up early the next morning to drive up there. I have Saturday to look forward to!

Just got my tickets for Saturday including paddock and car corral parking. So that's two mustangs in the the Car Corral. Anybody else going to represent?

GA
mwilson7 said:
Unfortunately I won't be at the race but we will have three Engineerings helping out.

Tell them to leave a bag of goodies on the Yelow Blaze GT with the Ford Racing license plate frame parked in the Corral. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors