The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Greetings from Road America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Proper disciplinary action might cure some of that. Sounded like some was handed out. Time will tell...

In vintage, if we touch you're on the trailer and in the office. In most cases you go home from there and severity decides how long you get to stay home.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
GS/GT4/TCR races have always been, and will always be, pretty rough. IMSA is not likely to be sending anyone home early. At the end of the day, the racers need to police the stupidity themselves to some extent.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
And that's my biggest complaint about ALMS getting sold to IMSA / NASCAR / the France family. ALMS had a pretty strict no-contact/damage policy with immediate "stop and hold for 60" as the minimum penalty. I realize it's not in the style of the short-track NASCAR "rubbin' is racin'" crowd that the France family typically caters to, but based on a quick scan of RacingJunk ads you can write off about 10 used asphalt late-models ($15k-20K) for the price of one used GT4 racecar ($180K-250K) - never mind GT3 and Prototypes. And I'd bet a new Mustang II upper front wishbone from Speedway is a heck of a lot cheaper than the equivalent GT4 part.

Okay, rant over.

And that's my biggest complaint about ALMS getting sold to IMSA / NASCAR / the France family. ALMS had a pretty strict no-contact/damage policy with immediate "stop and hold for 60" as the minimum penalty. I realize it's not in the style of the short-track NASCAR "rubbin' is racin'" crowd that the France family typically caters to, but based on a quick scan of RacingJunk ads you can write off about 10 used asphalt late-models ($15k-20K) for the price of one used GT4 racecar ($180K-250K) - never mind GT3 and Prototypes. And I'd bet a new Mustang II upper front wishbone from Speedway is a heck of a lot cheaper than the equivalent GT4 part.

Okay, rant over.
Exactly, just not comparable. Costs aside, GT4 cars by regulation don’t allow for cars which can quickly be repaired after a lil rubbin’ is racin’.

Boy, That was quite a race!!! Those two raced clean until almost the end......That's when "you gotta do what you gotta do" kicked in......hate what happened to the Vette in the last seconds.
The GS had a great last 20 minutes, but by that time the pros were in the car and they knew how far to push it without tossing someone into the wall. I don't know if you saw our wreck, but the Turner BMW just turned left into out right rear quarter and shot us directly into the bridge abutment, head on.

Okay, rant over.
This isn't a "rubbing is racing" problem, this is a lack of experience and respect problem that comes with giving anybody with money a licence. Its always been that way, years ago it seemed there were enough guys who knew what they were to keep it some what calm(also a bunch more drivers who were doing it on a lower budget who couldn't afford to be wrecked), but even then I remember some real awful races where the pacecar won. Take the Green Mustang/Yellow Aston tangle in Turn 1 early in the race, both drivers needed to be a bit more reserved that early. In hindsight that move didn't matter as they both got back to the front in the end, but it could have ended either of their races right there. The overall problem I see with this race was that it was the 4 hour enduro and people were driving like it was a sprint race. Add in IMSA's stupid long cautions at a 4 mile track, and Road America and its consequences and there you have it. I've seen plenty of cars written off in huge crashes because ego gets in the way and they forget the walls are still close. Some tracks you can get away with it, some you can't. Once they got rid of some cars, the 15 minutes at the end was a pretty good show.

TMO Supporting Vendors