The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 grill opening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
How much of the upper grill can be covered and still have good cooling? I am using a tiger racing style vented hood.
I'll let you know Monday. LOL.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
With proper ducting and hood venting you can block off the grill completely and pull entirely from the lower opening. If you find yourself removing the grill "to get more air in" that means "you aren't getting enough air out".
Its all about evacuating the underhood air, not packing more air in for improved cooling, more downforce and reduced drag. To pull this off though you really have to have very efficient ducting that was fabricated with this in mind. Now I have very good ducting but it was meant for use with a grill, so while it's very good, it was not meant specifically for a blocked grill. This weekend I'm racing at Laguna seca. It will be in the 80's. I have a spare grill that I have almost completely blocked off with a very fine mesh. I am going to see if I can get away with this without reworking the ducting to be 100% enclosed (save the opening at the bottom) which is the proper way to do this. I'll let you know what I find.
However, the question of "can I block the grill opening" is YES provided everything else is optimal.
Proper ducting, proper hood venting and of course no A/C condenser etc impeding the flow.
Lots of cars are set up this way. My experiment is "can I get away without re doing my current ducting".
Stay tuned.

229122174_212542884174503_1887659156036787097_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here's just one of a gazillion Mustangs with the grill opening closed off.

1.PNG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Honestly not sure if it is worth all the work since it seems so many have issues with things overheating whether due to racing at Altitude or just with how hot the weather is now during many of the months one is racing. My Boss S seems to run around 197 -206 on track regardless and none of my prior vehicles have run anywhere near that. Like TMS Boss and others , I removed the entire grill while running at Hi Plains Raceway ( high desert , Colorado ) and again did it at a super hot day. The Tiger hood really helps a lot , but I guess my thought is why block off the front for a small amount of aero at most tracks , when cooling is so much more beneficial for the life of the car.

PS - aluminum sheet headlights up front just like yours , ha.

Jim Ryder

Retriever Racing
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
machesney park, ill.
I'm looking for a little more front downforce. The angled headlight covers may add a little and probably will add dive planes as well. all in all the car is running great, just trying to get a little more out of it! I had a awesome weekend at Blackhawk Farms, got it down to 1:17:56! last years best was 1:19:48. Wider wheels and tires are the next big step when ever the budget will allow!

20210821_135007.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm looking for a little more front downforce. The angled headlight covers may add a little and probably will add dive planes as well. all in all the car is running great, just trying to get a little more out of it! I had a awesome weekend at Blackhawk Farms, got it down to 1:17:56! last years best was 1:19:48. Wider wheels and tires are the next big step when ever the budget will allow!

View attachment 67829
what is that addition to the bottom of the nose there....where did that come from?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks! If you check out my build thread there are a couple shots of the building stage. I'm poor, have to make everything! LOL!
I feel ya, how do you think I got the name "Fabman"?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Ah yes! I've admired your work! You make good stuff! a real craftsman!
So are you, very nice stuff in your build.
Can you imagine not being able to make your own stuff and having to rely on others for everything?
I've seen some of the work out there and the prices....no thank you.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So are you, very nice stuff in your build.
Can you imagine not being able to make your own stuff and having to rely on others for everything?
I've seen some of the work out there and the prices....no thank you.

Easy big fella... oh, you said EVERYTHING. Im not offended any more. I like to think of it as outsourcing.

TMO Supporting Vendors