The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Grippier tires in OEM sizes? Any recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone gone to a different tire, in the OEM sizes? I'm used to running smaller wheels on my older projects for a better selection in grippy tires. I used to run Hankook RS-3 's on my last car and loved them. I would like to get into some nice 18s eventully but my wife likes these wheels and I don't the the funds to upgrade the wheels at this time. I'm not anywhere close to needing tires yet but am looking into what else is out there in case I end up keeping my OEM's for the long haul.

I have no experience with them but the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 look promising and cost a lot less than the stock Pirelli's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&frontTire=54WR9GFSPC2&rearTire=835WR9GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I eventually ended up with an 18" set of 9.5" Nurburgrings and 275/40 Sport Comp2s. I picked 9.5" since they gave me the option of 255 all the way up to 295 for mfr recommended street tire widths.

Your best bet is to let us know what your tire demands are, like autox + DD, DD and occasional track, DD only.... Then the more experienced members here can point you in a good direction. Below are the ones I seriously considered for stock 19" and 18" sizes.

BFG Sport Comp2
Mickey Thompson Street Comps (their target market is late model Mustangs/slowmaros/and the weight Challenged.
Continental DW (good grip but softer sidewalls than BFGs)
Nitto NT 555 or NT05 (NT555 are cheap but are a decent summer dd tire, unsure of track grip)
Hankook Venus V12 (great in rain. NO track use, they chunk when heated up apparently)

Keep an eye on the for sale section, 18" wheels go up there often it seems. The SVE Drifts look OK and are cheap.

Good thing you're asking on these boards!
What's important to keep in mind with tire reviews is that a cars weight greatly affects the tire characteristics out on track--specifically, how well they can take heat and how quickly they'll get greasy.

A tire that classically does well with heavier, powerful cars is the Michelin PSS out on the track. The last long, offer tons of grip, and can take the heat with little issues. They are absurdly good in the wet to boot--so good infact, that many racers use these as a sort of "poor man's wets"!

I have my eye on the BFG comp 2's as well. The tire uses a similar construction and compound technology to the PSS (BFG is owned by Michelin afterall--and the comp2 are made in the same factory as the PSS). The comp 2's supposed to be great rubbers. They are on the Miller Motorsport Mustangs and some instructors are noted for saying that the comp 2's are equal to the p zero's in the dry, but superior to them in the wet. The comp 2's are also known for their progressive break away characteristics. It's a very forgiving tire and easy to put a lot of slip angle in them. How well they take heat is what i'm curious about.... They sure are priced well!

IMO if on a budget, get comp 2's and don't look back! If you have a larger wallet, PSS would be it for me.

For a tire which is useful both on the street and track, PSS won't fail to impress.

I was planning on going with the BFG 2's also. The only bad thing I have heard is the noise but I don't think that is an issue since our cars are loud anyway. I plan on buying and installing this weekend. I will update with pics next week. I decided to go this route due to $$$ of the originals.

Just ordered the BFG 2"s. I was told that they have discontinued the front stock size and are replacing them with another design but won't be ready until the end of year. Was thinking of going with a 275/40-19 up front. Anybody think that would be an issue?

BFG Comp 2's have been discontinued!

I went with Continental DW's.. and i like them a lot.

First choice was Michelin Pilot Super Sports, then BFG Comp 2's, and then Continental DW's..

I couldn't get the michelins b/c they are on back order, and the BFG's are discontinued.. went with Continental DW's and first track event is next weekend at Road Atlanta.. I'll let u know how they handle the track speeds and wear!

Luke

WHAT? BFG Comp 2 discontinued so soon?
That's a surprise to me...wow. That's too bad. I wonder what the replacement will be?

Georgia
SC BOSS said:
BFG Comp 2's have been discontinued!

I went with Continental DW's.. and i like them a lot.

First choice was Michelin Pilot Super Sports, then BFG Comp 2's, and then Continental DW's..

I couldn't get the michelins b/c they are on back order, and the BFG's are discontinued.. went with Continental DW's and first track event is next weekend at Road Atlanta.. I'll let u know how they handle the track speeds and wear!

Luke

After Track Attack last Fall I wa looking at the BFG Comp 2, but they were always on back order. Recently bought a set of Michelin PSS and loved them the past two track events. They were a pain to get as well... two had to come from Nevada (I live in Georgia). I can't believe they dropped the Comp 2's so quickly, heck, they just came out last year!

dabossinne said:
Guessing the new BFG Rival is replacing the Comp 2.
Nope the Comp 2 is also a new tire. The Rival is designed as a street legal track tire used in spec racing classes. The Comp 2 is similar to the stock Pirelli's. The Rival looks to be better than the Hankook RS3 many of us are using at the track. Plus it's made in the USA. 8)

WinterSucks said:
Going back through it looks like there was some confusion and they are only discontinued in the 255/40r19 size. It looks like it snowballed from there. Tirerack has them in stock. :-X

Ohhhh! thank goodness :D

I tried to order from Tirerack and they do not show any for the fronts (255/40R19)in the super comp 2's. They do show the 255/35R19 though.The rears seem to be no problem. I went to Americas tire and they have the same issue. I went directly to the BF Goodrich site and they say they do not manufacure an OEM replacement for a 2012 Boss 302. I try to do a tire size search and it wont work for our size. I went ahead and bought the stock rears and went with a 275/40R19 for the fronts to see how they feel.

TMO Supporting Vendors