The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT 350 brake calipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I asked about that yesterday and they didn't have an answer. Fortunately they use a radial mount which makes removing the caliper about a two minute event vs 20 on our cars.

That bridge really stiffens the caliper. It's on most of the six piston BBK kits sold by Brembo. The 15" Aftermarket kit sold by Brembo for our cars have this feature but not the OEM GT500 (2013-14) calipers. I thinks it's a great addition to the new car even though pad changes will be different.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VooDooBOSS said:
I asked about that yesterday and they didn't have an answer. Fortunately they use a radial mount which makes removing the caliper about a two minute event vs 20 on our cars.

This. Two easily-accessible jet-nuts and the caliper is off in a flash. Should be much faster.

ChopSui said:
Pretty sure the spindles are aluminum on the gt350
He was referring to the procedure on the S197 cars. Many of us have stripped or had to clean up the threads on our stock Brembo calipers. My Stoptech spec Mustang kit uses a radial mount like what is on the new GT350. Soooo much better. I wish the rears on the 350 used a radial mount as well.

Austin
That doesn't look like a nut on the end of that caliper. Looks more like some kind of hex socket bolt. Am I seeing that right?

Here's another view:

dsc_7270.jpg

Here's the bare knuckle:

Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Suspension-04.jpg

If it's what I'm thinking, I might need to get a bigger tube of anti-seize.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ChopSui said:
That doesn't look like a nut on the end of that caliper. Looks more like some kind of hex socket bolt. Am I seeing that right?

Looks like it to me. Hex bolt just as simple. If you don't have a good set of (metric) allen hex sockets for your ratchet, this is a perfect excuse to get one. :)

ChopSui said:

If it's what I'm thinking, I might need to get a bigger tube of anti-seize.
I was wondering the same thing after posting that photo. No posts like my Stoptech setup which is a shame. I wonder if it can be converted? Not screwing a steel bolt into aluminum (again) would be my preference.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Certainly looked like Steel on Aluminum, so more Anti-seize! Even with improved brakes, pads are going to be changed often...

I've been using Anti-seize with 10% lower torque on the Boss for over a year -- no issues loosing torque, and no more striped threads from the loctite! I would't advocate for a daily driver that does't get torque checked frequently.....

Black Boss said:
Certainly looked like Steel on Aluminum, so more Anti-seize! Even with improved brakes, pads are going to be changed often...

I've been using Anti-seize with 10% lower torque on the Boss for over a year -- no issues loosing torque, and no more striped threads from the loctite! I would't advocate for a daily driver that does't get torque checked frequently.....
The recommended torque seemed excessive on the stock calipers but I understand that on a street car where the calipers get removed once every 50k miles it's not an issue. I was also using lower torque and no additional loctite on mine. Please use loctite if you're not checking yours regularly.

FWIW the race brembos use a similar setup to my Stoptech's. I wonder if CorteX can make a stud and jet nut conversion kit? Hmmm another product idea... ;D

@CorteX Racing

1288370070014-640042268.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel