The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT 350 Dust Boot Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need to replace cooked dust boots on my 2018 GT 350- Getting kit from OP Mustang. Can anybody explain how to, or give me a link to check out?
I have no tools, but I know how to pay a competent mechanic. I have heard it can be done without removing the calipers. I have Caliperfection slider sleeves if that helps, or is required, and brake fluid if job requires disconnect/flush. Help! ( I may end up working with a mechanic who has never seen or worked on this car, hopefully not... )

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
It depends on what you intend to do. If you plan to simply replace the dust boots on the pistons, you could do it with the calipers on the Caliperfexion sleeves, disc removed for easier access, and a sharp pick or X-acto knife to pull the worn out dust boots. Putting the new ones in is a bit annoying as you have to push on them as equally as possible so they sit properly in the groove in the caliper and they don't pop back out.
If you plan to replace also the inner piston seals that are inside the caliper and prevent any leaks, you will however have to remove the brake line and plug that hole with a screw or a bleed nipple, plug a compressor with a small hose onto the bleed nipple for example, and push air into the caliper to push the pistons as far out as possible ( I leave a pair of pads in the caliper so the pistons push equally on them and you don't end up with one piston out of its bore and the others not moving anymore because of lack of pressure).

I'd suggest bleeding the brakes anyway as the fluid in our cars tends to absorb moisture over time and lose some of its characteristics.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel