The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT 350 Sway Bars Upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 2016 GT350 Track Pack car and run 5 HPDE events each year at V.I.R.

I met Randy Probst at the last event. He asked if I had upgraded the sway bars on my car to what came on the GT350R? I said I had not. He said he really liked driving the GT350 on track, but felt it needed the "R" sway bars.

I have asked Ford Performance for the part numbers several times. They recommend the 2015-2019 Mustang Track Sway Bar Kit M-5490-G.

Is that what comes on the GT350R?

Thanks,

Mach 1 Fan
Michael Briggs ([email protected]) .

DFW, TX
I have a 2016 GT350 Track Pack car and run 5 HPDE events each year at V.I.R.

I met Randy Probst at the last event. He asked if I had upgraded the sway bars on my car to what came on the GT350R? I said I had not. He said he really liked driving the GT350 on track, but felt it needed the "R" sway bars.

I have asked Ford Performance for the part numbers several times. They recommend the 2015-2019 Mustang Track Sway Bar Kit M-5490-G.

Is that what comes on the GT350R?

Thanks,

Mach 1 Fan
Michael Briggs ([email protected]) .
The R rear sway bar is 1/16” thicker than your non-R. I bought one for less than $100. Here is the thread with the part numbers for the bar and bushings:

Last edited:
The R rear bar is 23.6 mm vs the 22.2 mm GT350 bar. The front bars between them are identical. However, that's balanced out by significantly stiffer front springs on the R (240 lb/in vs 194 lb/in). I would recommend one without the other, and in general, you'll get more bang for the buck and laptime out of an aftermarket front swaybar and stiffer front springs for track use.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel