The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT 350 track review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoping some of you that are tracking your cars and give me some help. Im looking at buying a 2016 gt350 with track pack for a street/track car. I have a boss 302 and that did not work out so well on the track due to transmission problems. So, if your tracking your car please give me some feed back on performance and reliability as well as how the consumables are going. I would keep the car steerable as I already have a dedicated race car. Probably just add a roll bar and belts. Which also brings to mind, do the stock seats accept a 6 point or just 4 point harness. Thanks in advance, T.Roy

mattlqx

Mustangless
Track package cars should hold up fine. I managed to peak out my diff temperature once and changed to a heavier oil, but that was my only operational hiccup with it.

Lots of people on here have bailed on the stock brake pads, but I've stuck with stockers. I've gone through two sets now and I get about 3-4 full track days on them and about 3000-4000 miles of street driving. The upside is that the front pads only cost $200 from an online distributor. Rotors ares looking pretty good for me still but the stock MPSS are getting pretty low at this point, but that's 7 track days and 7000 miles.

There's no sub-hole in the factory Recaros. You can run the sub-belt through the mid section and sit on it. I ran my Boss 302 this way. It's not the best solution though. You should probably stick to a 4-point Scroth that Rick is fond of promoting. I've always intended on getting a legit 1-piece seat with sub-hole and running a 6-point with it and that's what I'm mere days away from doing.

Yes I'm using the Schroth 4-point ASM belts and they are working fine.

Big difference between the Boss and GT350 stock. While the Boss needed a lot to get it track ready the GT350 is literally ready to run right off the showroom floor. Car even comes with DOT 4 brake fluid stock. :) Add your favorite brake pads with some sticky tires on lighter wheels and you'll be all over 991.1 GT3's. ;)

Sounds good. Turns out the used 16 with 350 miles I was looking at is not far of the price of a new 17...... The hunt begins. May go lightning blue or black.....Car just looks like it would be a blast to drive. I loved my boss so I will keep you posted....

Ok, so first off. Beautiful car! Seats and Steering wheel feel good. Pedals are set up well for toe/heel. I like the fact that the steering column is adjustable in height and depth. Electronics work great. Comparisons on power and driving attributes ....... My stock C6 Z06 was brutally fast and a handful. This car feels quick but not as fast or powerful. It feels refined and like it is putting the power down well so it may be fast but just hooking up better. I am surprised that a car with this much hp does not try to break the wheels loose in 2nd or 3rd gear. I would say it feels quick. In comparison to my boss 302, the boss 302 felt more visceral. The shifter in the GT350 is much better and the seats hold me better. Brakes feel great but I'm on the street so we will have to see how they act at the track. The car is LOUD! (; I can feel the weight of this car more than the Boss. Maybe lighter wheels will help that. I could not really test the suspension on city streets and have a feeling that on the track the car will feel much different. Cant really see the need for any modifications unless there is a way to get rid of 2-300 lbs and add a roll bar/belts......

IMG_0973.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I am not used to going up to the 8k mark on revs so I keep wanting to shift at 6500/7......... Probably just need some seat time.

Just went out again. Got the revs up. Much more fun. Feels like it will handle great on the track. What will taking out the resonators do? just make it louder or help free up the flow some and add some responsiveness... Where to get camber plates and good suggestions for lightweight wheels?

What size tires for the track? and Square set up? 18s or 19s?

What pads are working well and a good replacement source for rotors?

Thanks T.Roy

The resonators make it louder for sure but you get more snap, crackle, pop like the Boss with open side pipes. Sounds amazing IMO.

I'm a fan of Pagid RS29's for both track and street. They are quiet on the street and I'm lazy so I leave them in all the time. My car sees around 6,000 miles a year between the street and track.

I'm running square and you can read more about it below. APEX is going to make 19x11 that will fit our cars and have plenty of caliper clearance. 18's will not fit. For tires I'm running Michelin PSC2's in 305 square. Other options are Pirelli Trefeo R, Nitto NT01 in 305 square and Hoosier R7's in 315 square.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/rotatable-gt350-square-wheel-tire-setup.11591/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...-wheel-group-buy-—-up-to-300-off-a-set.12253/

Enjoying the car more everytime I drive it. Just had to get use to it being larger. It revs forever! I really like how the rear sits coming out of a corner, really puts the power down!

What about spring rates and front sway bar. Is the stock set up on the gt 350 stiff enough?

How about the Aero?

Thanks

Ok first round of mods done: Redline Quicklift hood struts in body color, JLT passenger side catch can in Black. (JLTs catch can was as easy of a plug and play installation as you can get and the emptying process is very simple)

Couple of questions:
1. is there any way to program the car to start in loud exhaust mode as a default?
2. the r comes with switches at the bottom of the center console. Is that an easy switch out and does that control exhaust mode?

Thanks

mattlqx

Mustangless
Couple of questions:
1. is there any way to program the car to start in loud exhaust mode as a default?
2. the r comes with switches at the bottom of the center console. Is that an easy switch out and does that control exhaust mode?

Thanks

No. Maybe a person familiar with ECU tuning car but nobody has to date.

Every 350 except the base or track pack only cars come with the switches. I don't believe anyone has figured a way to do it, but I'm reminded of a box I had on my Terminator ages ago for traction control. It plugged into the switch and in turn the harness plugged into it. When it first received power, if the state was TC off when last powered off, it would signal to the car that the switch was pushed and turn off TC thereby having the effect of TC control being "sticky". It would be awesome if somebody electronically inclined would be motivated to make something similar.

Wow, I just searched and 15 years later, it's still a thing!! http://www.randrspecialty.com/autoelectronics/mustang.html

TMO Supporting Vendors