The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT-VS- Boss dash oil gage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What year GT? All of the 13-14's have the digital gauges.

Then buy just the gauge pod with no gauges and install gauges of your choice. Its what many people here did with great results and at 1/3 the price.

"The earlier GTs only have an 'idiot' pressure gauge which just indicates that there is pressure"

Even if so I just think it was strange of Ford to put oil pres gauge in standard GT even if it is just a "pressure sensed" system like you said but not in the standard Boss. The Shelby's have one, even my F150 has oil press gage!

What's up with that?

k98dave said:
"The earlier GTs only have an 'idiot' pressure gauge which just indicates that there is pressure"

Even if so I just think it was strange of Ford to put oil pres gauge in standard GT even if it is just a "pressure sensed" system like you said but not in the standard Boss. The Shelby's have one, even my F150 has oil press gage!

What's up with that?

The '13 Boss (and '13-'14 GT) DOES have an "idiot" oil pressure indicator, plus an "idiot" oil temp indicator.

Both are in the Engine Info menu on the small center LED display between the tach and speedo. Clearly engine oil pressure and temperature are being read by the PCM; however, Ford engineers inexplicably decided to only display "Low", "Normal" and "High" for both pressure and temp instead of the actual numerical values or a full "digital" gauge.

dabossinne said:
...however, Ford engineers inexplicably decided to only display "Low", "Normal" and "High" for both pressure and temp instead of the actual numerical values or a full "digital" gauge.

That has bothered me since the first track event!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
This has always bothered me too...even my F150 has a digital transmission oil temp gauge. I have a scan gauge tool that plugs into the OBD port of the Boss. Is there anyway to make this display oil temp and pressure? Here is a link on how to display some of these readings but I tried once and was unsuccessful. Anyone else running a scan gauge?

Adam

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/ford-specific-xgauges/

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I run a OBD2 data link and can pull temps from that. But, they are for lack of a better term estimates. The data runs the idiot lights and places the car in limp mode if necessary.

I added electric "Steam" gauges with sensors in a sandwich plate, oil temp and pressure and in the block for water.

Just my opinion but Ford likely built one configuration of gauge cluster for all Boss dashes per year. The LS had the center cluster. So the base Boss got what it got.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel