The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gt3 rumor is true

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
So biggest questions are SLA to the production car ?
And will the Endurance spec 5.0 make it's way to FP Catalog so we can benefit from this development ?
Ford, just put the SLA on the production car and while your at it make sure it is a proper SLA (no massive shock towers)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Another article on the GT3 rumors. Would be fun to see them compete in the IMSA GTD class.

It's not a rumor ford officially announced that they are creating a new GT3 and GT4 cars. And now have 2 factory backed GT4 S550 Mustang's at IMSA Pilot Challenge. So looks like they are prepping a factory racing program to back the new cars.

In the V6L
This is going to get interesting... The GT3 race car is, according to the video, a promotional item to push the Mustang brand, something the Ford GT couldn't do. Presumably then, there will be an FP engineered street version of this car with similar naming, likely using the same naming formula that Porsche used with their three GT3 variants: the GT3, the GT3RS and the GT3 Cup race car.

Now, if that's true, then something I read on SVTP a few months back starts to make sense. There was a post from someone who, with surprising confidence and clarity, talked about a genuine second generation Voodoo that's in development now for MY2026 or so. Target output was somewhere between 550 and 600 HP. Now that could all be crap, but then again, a streetable Mustang GT3 with a more powerful Voodoo would be interesting indeed.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
This is going to get interesting... The GT3 race car is, according to the video, a promotional item to push the Mustang brand, something the Ford GT couldn't do. Presumably then, there will be an FP engineered street version of this car with similar naming, likely using the same naming formula that Porsche used with their three GT3 variants: the GT3, the GT3RS and the GT3 Cup race car.

Now, if that's true, then something I read on SVTP a few months back starts to make sense. There was a post from someone who, with surprising confidence and clarity, talked about a genuine second generation Voodoo that's in development now for MY2026 or so. Target output was somewhere between 550 and 600 HP. Now that could all be crap, but then again, a streetable Mustang GT3 with a more powerful Voodoo would be interesting indeed.
I like the fact that Ford is trying something new, but was really disappointed seeing the car. Its a rather extreme example of a "Mustang" and suppose it had to be this way. If I didn't know it was a Mustang before seeing the clip, I wouldn't know what it was. I'll chalk it up to its colorful livery. Maybe it would look better in white.

I watched a video of Jim Owens talking about the Dark Horse at Carlisle Dark Horse - Jim Owens and he referenced the DH as a Team Mustang vehicle, not a Ford Performance vehicle. I felt he was insinuating that the DH was the best of the Mustang Team, but there was more in the works. Just my $.02

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN

64831a53f30d7.jpg

Ford unveils the Mustang GT3 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans​

Ford is set to return to endurance in the GT3 class. The American marque will be racing the Mustang – more specifically a competition version compliant with GT3 rules, based on the Mustang “Dark Horse” road-going model.

To mark its entry into the GT3 category – which will succeed LMGTE Am from 2024 – Ford has chosen a bold, colourful new look. It has partnered with designer Troy Lee and the American racer revealed today is certainly very striking.
"Ford and Le Mans are bound together by history. And now we’re coming back to the most dramatic, most rewarding and most important race in the world,” said Jim Farley, CEO, Ford Motor Company. “It is not Ford versus Ferrari anymore. It is Ford versus everyone!” Farley jokes, with a nod not only to Ford’s recent history in La Sarthe (with its Ford GT) but also to the legendary Ford vs. Ferrari battles of the 1960s.
The return to Le Mans marks the start of a “global” programme built around the Mustang. Other versions are planned, including one for NASCAR in the United States, one for Supercars in Australia, and a GT4 variant for GT championships around the world.
  • 64831aabda81a.jpg
  • 64831ab2d3935.jpg
  • 64831ab76eb34.jpg
  • 64831aabda81a.jpg
  • 64831ab2d3935.jpg
  • 64831ab76eb34.jpg
  • 64831aabda81a.jpg
  • 64831ab2d3935.jpg
  • 64831ab76eb34.jpg

PHOTO 1/3
"Ford and Le Mans are bound together by history. And now we’re coming back to the most dramatic, most rewarding and most important race in the world"
Jim Farley, CEO of Ford Motor Company

Ford Performance has once again turned to its long-standing partners, Multimatic and M-Sport. Multimatic, which built the Ford GT that competed at Le Mans from 2016 to 2019, will help build and support the future Mustang GT3s. Meanwhile, M-Sport, Ford’s partner in the World Rally Championship (WRC), will assemble the Ford Performance-developed 5.4-litre Coyote-based V8 engines.
“For a project like the Mustang GT3, we turned to two of our most trusted partners in the motorsports world to help bring this vehicle and programme together,” said Mark Rushbrook, Global Director, Ford Performance Motorsports.
The first customer team for this new programme is Proton Competition. The German team will compete in the FIA WEC World Endurance Championship and the 2024 24 Hours of Le Mans*. Ford Performance will also field a two-car factory program in IMSA’s GTD Pro class. This will be managed by Multimatic Motorsports and begin at the Rolex 24 at Daytona next January.
*Subject to the decision of the WEC and 24 Hours of Le Mans selection committees

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/ford-unveils-the-mustang-gt-3-at-the-24-hours-of-le-mans-57637

In the V6L
I like the fact that Ford is trying something new, but was really disappointed seeing the car. Its a rather extreme example of a "Mustang" and suppose it had to be this way. If I didn't know it was a Mustang before seeing the clip, I wouldn't know what it was. I'll chalk it up to its colorful livery. Maybe it would look better in white.

I watched a video of Jim Owens talking about the Dark Horse at Carlisle Dark Horse - Jim Owens and he referenced the DH as a Team Mustang vehicle, not a Ford Performance vehicle. I felt he was insinuating that the DH was the best of the Mustang Team, but there was more in the works. Just my $.02
I never saw any hints that the DH was an FP vehicle. As for extreme example, it has to be - it's running against a bunch of extreme example competitors..

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Interesting interview with Jim Farley on the GT3, Le Mans, customer teams vs factory team, support for [amateur?] spec-class Mustang racing, and creating a driver development ladder system based around Mustang models (Dark Horse, DH-S, DH-R, GT4, GT3) similar to what Mazda has been doing for years with the Miata variants (and for a time, IMSA prototypes) for sports cars, and the Mazda Road to Indy for open-wheel.

If Ford puts the same effort into grassroots motorsports support that Mazda NA / Mazdaspeed has done for decades, with discounted parts (and somtimes cars, e.g., S-Plan pricing) for any level competitor and contigency payouts at the amateur level, it could be a game-changer. Count the number of Miatas at your last SCCA club race, autocross, NASA time trial, etc., and imagine nearly that many Mustangs at the same event.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Interesting interview with Jim Farley on the GT3, Le Mans, customer teams vs factory team, support for [amateur?] spec-class Mustang racing, and creating a driver development ladder system based around Mustang models (Dark Horse, DH-S, DH-R, GT4, GT3) similar to what Mazda has been doing for years with the Miata variants (and for a time, IMSA prototypes) for sports cars, and the Mazda Road to Indy for open-wheel.

If Ford puts the same effort into grassroots motorsports support that Mazda NA / Mazdaspeed has done for decades, with discounted parts (and somtimes cars, e.g., S-Plan pricing) for any level competitor and contigency payouts at the amateur level, it could be a game-changer. Count the number of Miatas at your last SCCA club race, autocross, NASA time trial, etc., and imagine nearly that many Mustangs at the same event.

This interview was very good. I'm really interested in what the new FP logo and catalog will bring not only for the S650 but for the S550 as well. More parts support from Ford will be great though at that point this are just promises. And sure it's great for the States but what about the other parts of the world if this program wants to succeed we need support in Europe and Australia as well for that. I would love for example to have a Ford Performance Driving school in Europe or to be able to rent out a GT4 in Europe to test drive. Overall lot's of good things in the interview but we need to see what the actual program and ladder would look like. Porsche have an amazing program all around the world for drivers development from Porsche Experience events all the way to Ice driving in Sweden and drivers event all around the world. I can't see Ford building something like this on the Porsche scale at least not just for 6-7 years. We will see but it's exciting.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
When Ford debuted the IMSA Ford GT at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, they had a big hospitality tent outside the track and you could get a ticket deal with dedicated parking, meals, meet & greets with development staff & drivers, etc. Wondering if anyone has heard of something similar for the 2024 Rolex 24 with the new Mustang GT3? Maybe @yotah1 has an inside scoop?

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Well, not sure how big our hospitality will be, but considering that Multimatic will be running 2 cars for Ford as a factory team, we should have something decent to welcome people i assume.

I'll definitely be there and always happy to meet some fellow Mustang owners and fans.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel