The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 1st gear popping out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My 16 GT350 intermittently pops out of 1st gear when letting out the clutch, it did it twice on the way home from the dealer when I first got it. I figured it was just me. It has continued but there is no consistency to it. I just installed the new MGW shifter, went to take it for a test drive, slipped it into 1st and started to let the clutch out and out it popped, anyone else having this issue?

My trans shifts and works flawlessly. Take it to your dealer and get it documented.

Be firm and confident with each and every shift. Reading between the lines, as well as hearing the same complaint on this car from 4 or 5 others, leads me to think you aren't fully engaged. The MGW is very precise and allows as hard of a shift as you can impart upon it. And the TR3160 ain't to shabby either with large diameter, TR6060 gears and synchros, gun drilled shafts, etc. In other words, push it harder than you are now and see if it happens again.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have to agree. Popping out of first gear with clutch engagement is usually the result of an engagement issue, (not fully engaged).

Popping out of gear when accelerator pedal is released is usually a worn out syncro.

This might be fixed with a shift rod adjustment.

2HP

The popping out of 1st gear rarely happens (1500 miles, maybe popped out 20 times) but still happens, sometimes (rarely again) I will notice a little notchy feeling when I put it in 1st gear, I will pull it out and it seems as thou after a couple of more attempts it slips back into gear, kind of like when everything lines up just right something isn't right. 1st gear with both shifters always seems very solid!
By the way, the MGW shifter is definitely a NICE piece of work! I guess it is time to replace it with the stock shifter and go see my Ford dealer.

scmscout said:
The popping out of 1st gear rarely happens (1500 miles, maybe popped out 20 times) but still happens, sometimes (rarely again) I will notice a little notchy feeling when I put it in 1st gear, I will pull it out and it seems as thou after a couple of more attempts it slips back into gear, kind of like when everything lines up just right something isn't right. 1st gear with both shifters always seems very solid!
By the way, the MGW shifter is definitely a NICE piece of work! I guess it is time to replace it with the stock shifter and go see my Ford dealer.

IIRC when installing the MGW there is a bushing that needs to be removed or the gears don't fully engage. Two things cause pop out, defective synchro or gears not fully engaged. From your description it sounds like it's not the synchro. Usually with a bad synchro when you decelerate in that gear it will pop out.

TMO Supporting Vendors