The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350/350R Brake Duct Completion Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see Cooltech is offering this kit for the GT350. Are these deflectors necessary? Anyone having issues with overheating brakes in their GT350 on track? I'm not the hardest driver on brakes but I've run my car in 100 degree temps with no brake fade. I believe this kit was inspired by the performance pack Mustang GT's. Thoughts?

http://www.cooltechllc.com/2015-mustang-gtgt350gt350r/100-gt350350r-brake-deflectors.html

gt350350r-brake-deflectors.jpg

These are very similar to what was on my EVO 9. Interesting, I wonder if this something like this was originally designed in and then left out since the GT350 brakes don't "need" them?

DFW, TX
2c0d3b6df9f97745ee582779c6e0fd30.png

Btw, picture is upside down.

I saw this kit on the 6G forum. Originally I just thought I would make some. Then I decided I would look in to some used GTPP control arms. I got two that look pretty new with the air deflectors intact at a decent price.

You don't have to tap the GT350 control arms. There is a 3/16ths hole that I'll probably use stainless through bolts and some fender washers. But maybe I'll tap the holes, we'll see.

I always suspected the stock ducting was as much to cool the R's carbon wheels as the brakes, so maybe that is why they left them off.

It didn't look like you can use the existing ducts and use brake duct tubing to direct air to the eye of the rotor, the tire looks like it gets in the way.

So...if you need two GTPP control arm sans deflectors, I might make you deal!

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I haven't had any brake cooling issues at the track in my GT350R.

I'm a Cooltech fan after using a number of their parts on my BOSS, but there's no testing to prove that these actually do anything for the GT350/GT350R.

I'm holding out until then.

DFW, TX
Dig-It said:
I haven't had any brake cooling issues at the track in my GT350R.

I'm a Cooltech fan after using a number of their parts on my BOSS, but there's no testing to prove that these actually do anything for the GT350/GT350R.

I'm holding out until then.
a5c9a4e4d00c89d8fe1903f71dac4280.jpg9baa3a38b567f4a26b425ba19c000168.jpg

My brakes got mushy at one track. These may not do much, but while you can get pads and fluid to take the heat, the rubber bits may last longer with some additional cooling.

...and if somebody wants the control arms, I'll make them a deal. I wonder if they are the same as the GT350 just without the flap or tapped holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looks extremely similar to the old Porsche brake deflectors Bob Woodhouse adapted and recommended for Gen II Viper brakes. We found out that it still was not enough to really cool the rotors as the laminar air flow on the old Snakes just were not conducive to air getting to the rotors. He ended up designing a tube/hose system that many new performance vehicles like the Boss LS and GT 350 have already and we found once the hoses were installed the deflectors did not have much benefit. If cheap enough ,not going to hurt, and may help a few ,but likely not really necessary.

DFW, TX
VoodooBOSS said:
Were you using the stock brake pads?
I was using stock pads. I was at Hallett OK, which is the second hardest place l have raced (this was obviously just a track day) on brakes. I was chasing down a Ford engineer in an R somewhat successfully...

I just got done putting these things on and while I was skeptical before, I think these actually might do something.

Since my rolling road wind tunnel was out of service, I hooked up my big garage fan and stuck it in front of the car. It's interesting that the stock ducts seem to concentrate air on the inside edge of the tire tread. While almost entirely unscientific, I'm going to guess the air is going to flow off the edge of the wheel and back in to these flaps. Short of a GoPro and some yarn tufts, I'll just leave it there.

The stock duct outlet doesn't look like it could easily be converted to a true brake duct setup. The ducting would have to take a 90 degree turn to the inside of the wheel well to avoid the tire at full lock.

TMO Supporting Vendors