The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Air Filter Question and Potential Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Have to agree with BT, I use Airaid "Dry" type cone filters and replace them annually after a shake out or two during the East Coast Boss driving season.

As for the GT350 air filter, the shape is right but my gut tells me a Performance Air Filter would have less restriction after a few miles, (considering the above reported dirt accumulation in 3,400-4,400 miles of use). I would go with the Dry Airaid Cone type replacement filter. As for the oiled type, I too would stay away from those due to possible MAF sensor contamination.

Hood paint - for a quick fix, could you apply a film of pure silicone or perhaps a film of clear SuperLube? That would eliminate paint transfer. Note: I used a daub of SuperLube under, (bottom side) of my Boss 302 Airaid CAI box and it stopped the paint wear.

302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've had my dry blue AiRaid filter on for 3-1/2 years now. Several track days, some but limited street driving and I've only cleaned it out once in approximately 5000 miles. I'll clean it out again soon but it looks like I just pulled it out of the box. For the amount of road tyme the car sees, I don't think I need to replace it any tyme soon. Can't speak to the GT350 filter since I'm not lucky enough to have one, (the car) but I am a big fan of the AiRaid filters and also stay away from any oiled version.

Thanks for the heads up about the paint rubbing underhood. I checked mine, and at 3,900 miles, it looked about the same as the OP's, maybe a little bit better. I used a bit of polishing compound to reduce the noticeable scratches, then cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and applied a strip of clear bra material that I had lying around to the circumference of the filter seal on the hood side. For good measure, I also put a couple spots of the same clear bra material on the hood where the rubber hood stops touch the hood.

Thanks for the heads up about the paint rubbing underhood. I checked mine, and at 3,900 miles, it looked about the same as the OP's, maybe a little bit better. I used a bit of polishing compound to reduce the noticeable scratches, then cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and applied a strip of clear bra material that I had lying around to the circumference of the filter seal on the hood side. For good measure, I also put a couple spots of the same clear bra material on the hood where the rubber hood stops touch the hood.
Welcome to TMO. When you get a minute tell us a little about yourself and post some photos of your car.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/member-introductions-introduce-yourself.3503/

TMO Supporting Vendors