The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Brake Pad Life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm wondering what kind of life folks are getting out of the stock GT350 pads. After ~3500 street miles, and 8 sessions at Summit Point Main and 6 sessions at Watkins Glen, my front and rear pads were at the end of their usable life (pad material thinner than the backing plate). Both tracks have a reputation for being hard on brakes, and I am definitely pushing the car decently hard (on the stock MPSS), but thought I'd at least get another weekend out of the pads.

I've considered moving to more aggressive pads, but I've heard mixed reviews on the G Locks, and the Ferodos are super spendy. What other options are people going with?

Well to comment on the mixed reviews Jade seemed to like the G-LOC's in the Shelby he instructed in. Pro drivers tend to be very aware of the feedback from the car, brake modulation etc. There are a lot of GT350's running the milder R12/R10 combination as well as the R16-R18/R12 combination.

It appears you seemed to have gotten an awful lot out of one set of pads for the tracks. WG can see some pretty heavy braking in a Shelby. Perhaps you should just stay with what works for you until you find yourself getting into compound fade.

"Jade might know a thing or two about getting a good lap in a Mustang
headbang.gif
Looked like a fast lap!

How were the brakes?"

"He sure does! Thanks! For comparison sake he ran a 2:14 in my car!
hail.gif

The brakes felt great! Jade even commented that he liked my brakes better than another R owners who was running Ferodo Dusno's. He drove our cars back to back."

Video

I only ran the stock pads for the first 1,000 miles all on the street but your usage/miles sounds about right. @mattlqx

I'm using Pagid RS-29 (now RSL-29) and have six track days and maybe 3,000 street miles on them and they still have 4mm remaining all around. These are not cheap pads but I use them on the street and track and don't switch back and fourth.

@moto has been using the stock rear pads with his track front pads, G-Loc I think, and I'm going to try using the stock rear pads with the Pagid RSL-29's up front for my next track day. This will help keep the costs down. If I detect a drop off in performance I'll install Pagid's in the rear.

Last edited:

mattlqx

Mustangless
OEM pad life is highly dependent on which tracks you drive on. I got two days at COTA out of a new OE set. My local lower top-speed tracks are more reasonable. I can get 3-5 days out of a set then.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel