The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Carbon Ceramic Brakes - now available for all four corners!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
Well, they're not in transit any more! They're sitting in the garage waiting for me to install them. Maybe Monday.

Anyway, they're beautifully made and surprise, surprise, the internal cooling vanes are angled so there's a left and a right side rotor.

I was thinking of rounding up all the factory rotors and stacking the four of them up together on my scale, then doing the same thing with the set of four CCB's. I'm guessing that the difference will be around 50 pounds.

If you have to ask...

Nice weight savings, it's nice to know this is a viable option for those that want to spend the extra money.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If you have to ask...

Nice weight savings, it's nice to know this is a viable option for those that want to spend the extra money.

"If you have to ask" brings back memories. First time I heard that was when I was about 12 years old and enamored with boats and asked a "captain" (using the term loosely) of a shiny new looking (for 1963) Chris Craft how much his boat cost. I was figuring how many more new paper route customers I'd need to get one! LOL! To which he replied..."if you have to ask".....which for a 12 year old kid was kind of stating the obvious!

Totally great weight savings with CC brakes especially since it's rotating weight.

In the V6L
Well, they ain't cheap, let's just say. You get a weight reduction that's comparable (45# vs 48#) to switching to GT350R carbon fiber rims for about 3/4 the price of a set of CF rims.

Where they make the most sense is where you have multiple rim sets with different tires for different purposes. With CCB's, you get the performance benefits of low unsprung weight without having to shell out for lightweight rims over and over. The heavy (and stiff) OEM rims will work fine, and they can be had on Rockauto as refurbs for about $200 each.

in terms of other benefits, by reputation, the rotors are supposed to last about four times as long as iron rotors. I can't confirm this - I'm still on my first set. The nicest of the collateral benefits is that there's virtually no dust or rust and pad life seems to be much longer than with iron. The other obvious benefit is that the brake performance is amazing. Once you go carbon, you won't be going back.

In the V6L
More progress. First, the comparable weights of just the individual rear rotors - the difference is a hair under 7 pounds:

RB CCB weight rear small 2019 05 01jpg.jpgOEM Rotor weight rear small 2019 05 01jpg.jpg

In the V6L
I look forward to your feedback on the feel of the complete CCB setup, especially with the RSL29 pads.
So, I installed the rear CCB's on Wednesday, and because the car had a date with the dealer on Thursday to have the front right fender liner replaced, I re-installed the OEM iron front rotors but I left the Pagid RSL29 pads on. This is the first time I've driven the car with front iron rotors since I got the CCB's in 2017. The differences on the drive to the dealer and back were interesting. First, Pagid Racing tech support had told me that RSL29's mu goes up about 10% on CCB, delivering more bite, and sure enough I could feel it. The brakes are just a little less responsive with the iron rotors. Not in a bad way, just not what I'm used to. Second, the "dead" sensation in the front end was back. The lighter brakes make the car feel more nimble - again it's subtle, but I like it.

When I got back from the dealer yesterday, I reinstalled the front CCB's and went for a drive. The brakes I'm used to were back and the car drove well with all four corners in carbon. Not that I would have expected otherwise, of course.

I'm aiming for next Tuesday to be my first track outing this year, so I'll see how they perform then under track conditions.

In the V6L
Ok, so it took a while to find the time to post about the track day on Tuesday. Having had a few days to reflect and look at my data, I'm pretty happy with how it went. First off, the setup was new in many ways - I was running tires I'd never run on the GT350, I was running new brakes at the rear and I had new safety gear now that there is a Schroth setup that works with HANS. It all took some getting used to. The amazing thing was the tires - the rears were brand new Trofeo R's in 325/30x19 on OEM 11" rims, and the fronts were 285/35x19's on OEM 10.5" rims. The fronts weren't new - they spent some quality time on the back of my 2014 GT500, and they started the day with 16 heat cycles on them. Despite the big difference in the tire sizes, the 285 Trofeo R's actually run wider than 305 Michelin MPSC2's, and the tread face on the road is only 20mm narrower than the 325's. They worked surprisingly well - the combo delivered a consistent drama-free 1.1 to 1.3 lateral G's lap after lap. The imbalance front to rear wasn't worse than what you get with the factory MPSC2 305 - 315 setup too, so I'm pretty happy.

So why am I talking about tires on a brake thread? Because the brakes were just plain awesome. Excellent bite, flat torque delivery, they just showed up for work and did a great job.

Some images from my FLIR temp gun - first the fronts (after a 20 minute session and a 2.5 mile cool-down lap):

FLIR00026.jpgFLIR00033.jpg

The rotor is about 250 F and the caliper is about 180F. They do cool down fast.

Rears look like this:

FLIR00032.jpgFLIR00030.jpg

This looks like good front-to-rear balance, and again, they're surprisingly cool. Rotors at 212F or so and calipers at about 160F.

In the V6L
Thanks for the update. Are you going to continue to run staggered or go to square? I ran 305 square SC2’s I my car was very balanced. The Trefeo R comes in a 305 the last I checked.
I'm working my way through a bunch of oddball tires to get to the 305 square promised land. I had the old 285 Trofeo's in inventory (and every time I looked at them, I thought "man, those are so wide") so I picked up a set of 325's (same diameter) on sale so I could use them up. Once the 285's are done, I'll run the 325 rears with a used pair of 315 MPSC2's up front. Once they're all used up, I'll break out my brand-new set of Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R's in 305 square. The Goodyears are about the same width as the 325 Trofeo's - they're also wider than the numbers let on.

In the V6L
So, I've finally had a moment to have a close look at the car after that track day at the beginning of May. I was away for a couple of weeks.

Tires have a thick blanket of OPR (other people's rubber) and they look good for wear. The brakes look totally unfazed as well.

The CCB's make surprisingly little dust. Here are pictures of the front and rear wheels with the track day trip dust on them. Before I went, I installed the wheels and wiped the outer face clean. Since then, I've driven 225 miles to the track, 100 miles at the track and 225 miles home. Pads are PAGID RSL29's front and rear - that's what was in the thermal images above too.

Rear wheel:

Dusty Rear Wheel 2019 05 28 small.jpg

Front wheel - just to make it easier to see how much dust there is, I cleaned the sector over the PIR of Pirelli:
Dusty Front Wheel 2019 05 28 small.jpg

It's not like there's no dust, but a set of iron rotors with the same pads would have produced a lot more. If you're not driving on the track, the dust is pretty much non-existent.

TMO Supporting Vendors