The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 crash at the nurburgring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with Fastfordnut on his speed, but it did look like an odd placement of the car in relation to the apex. Makes one wonder if being out wide and late got him into some marbles?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
You could hear the tires howling even as he was turning in, and he missed the apex by a ton(ne). I think he was just too fast and possibly not experienced enough. Doesn't look too bad but I bet there's suspension damage and then there's the real killers of cars, the airbags went off! Wonder if he had track day insurance? Would probably make a good foundation for a dedicated track car if you could get it cheap enough.

In the V6L
If you look at the cars that made the corner, you can see that they drive the corner almost like a sweeper or even a double apex. They brake hard before turn-in so they're not carrying too much speed, then turn in sharply and patiently ride the inside edge of the track until they get to the point where they can start widening out to the outer curb. The hump in the road where they start to widen out determines the speed they carry though the first part of the corner. They know they're going to lose grip for a moment, so they have to be patient before they get on the power again. The guy in the Mustang just looks like he didn't know what corner he was coming to. He carried too much speed and didn't rotate the car far enough on entry, leaving him way out of position for the second half of the corner. The track kept turning but he didn't have the grip to follow it.

In the V6L
Think it was too fast in, made the turn in too early and had no grip to keep him from sliding into the marbles.
I'm not sure he turned in too late but he was definitely going too fast. If you refer back to the two cars that went through initially, he turned in later than the black car but he looks like he's trying to follow the line that the yellow car took - he positions himself in the same place on the track in the braking zone and more or less runs over the same painted lettering that the yellow car hits as he turns in. But as he clears the last of the painted lettering, he hasn't rotated far enough to find the inside edge of the track and runs wide into the mid-corner and never recovers.

What's interesting is that he doesn't lose control or even bobble - a lot of video at that corner shows cars spinning sliding around and while he's running wide, he's not out of control. I wonder if he ran out of brakes in the braking zone and realized he wasn't going to make it so he just did his best to put it into the barrier with the least impact.

In general TMO does not approve of posting videos or photos of on track car crashes unless you're the one in the photo. This one is all over the internet and there's no ID of the person so we'll let it run. My conclusion on this crash is he ran off the track and hit the wall. :D

Sorry Rick, I never knew crashes were not allowed to be posted.

That's a great conclusion, you must be a private [emoji2539]
[emoji12]

The ring is a such a long track. Nothing like it here in the states. I drove an M3 on it with a guy that knew the track and I could see how you can get a little lost on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel