The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Dyno Numbers from Motor Trend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yep...the 467rwhp is ~11% loss from 526, which is impressive. also note the test was run with 100 degree temp and only 20% relative humidity.

I like the area under the curves...fat and extremely usable power over 3,500 rpm.

Nice. Hopefully that will be enough for most of us to chase down those pesky GT3's.

That HP number is pretty good for TT2 if I can figure out a way to drop about 100 lbs....... I'm guessing the curb weight with lightweight aluminum wheels and a roll bar with race seat to be in the neighborhood of 3935 with me and a full tank of gas. Pull the passenger seat to pick up 50 lbs and 1/2 tank of gas should net another 50 lbs. Need to get as close to 3736 as possible.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
What's with the sudden jump in power between 3-3500RPMs? Is this Ford VTEC :) Look at the comparison with the Z/28 numbers. It's basically equal with the Z even thought the Z is only rated to 505hp. Maybe due to atmospheric conditions? The Z made just as much HP but with a 20hp less rating.

cloud9 said:
That HP number is pretty good for TT2 if I can figure out a way to drop about 100 lbs....... I'm guessing the curb weight with lightweight aluminum wheels and a roll bar with race seat to be in the neighborhood of 3935 with me and a full tank of gas. Pull the passenger seat to pick up 50 lbs and 1/2 tank of gas should net another 50 lbs. Need to get as close to 3736 as possible.

Agree, great fit for TT2. However, there's no penalty for rear aero in TT2 that probably makes a wing required to be competitive....

Flyboygsxr said:
What's with the sudden jump in power between 3-3500RPMs? Is this Ford VTEC :) Look at the comparison with the Z/28 numbers. It's basically equal with the Z even thought the Z is only rated to 505hp. Maybe due to atmospheric conditions? The Z made just as much HP but with a 20hp less rating.

Intake manifold tuning.. they could not fit the huge runners of the boss 302 or the Cobra jet under this low slung hood. Yes, VCT timing plays a huge role but mostly only the intake valve changes the torque numbers - however not really the shape so much once you get the overlap right.

The reason the Z made same HP on 20HP less rating is because each dyno is different and you should not be comparing. I think its kinda pointless to dyno test an engine unless you plan on making mods and re-dyno testing it. Dyno readings can range 30% different or more depending if its a dyno-jet, Mustang, etc.

The voodoo has 12:1 compression, radical cams, etc. its a dream engine. The 505HP 7.0L LS is also a great engine - the ported heads flow mad numbers and the intake is wonderful - but its got so much free torque with those cubic inches. it can beat the little GT350 5.2L pretty easily on torque and low end grunt. and if you cam it and put high flow headers on it, watch out its a pure race engine!! although NEVER to 8200rpm sustained.

PS> anyone price out a giant setrab oil cooler for the GT350 yet? 300F on the Road and Track test is stupid high, same issues with the Coyote and Road Runner engines - these aluminum engines are very efficient and tend to heat up the oil quickly. Big oil cooler is needed.

twistedneck said:
Intake manifold tuning.. they could not fit the huge runners of the boss 302 or the Cobra jet under this low slung hood. Yes, VCT timing plays a huge role but mostly only the intake valve changes the torque numbers - however not really the shape so much once you get the overlap right.

The reason the Z made same HP on 20HP less rating is because each dyno is different and you should not be comparing. I think its kinda pointless to dyno test an engine unless you plan on making mods and re-dyno testing it. Dyno readings can range 30% different or more depending if its a dyno-jet, Mustang, etc.

The voodoo has 12:1 compression, radical cams, etc. its a dream engine. The 505HP 7.0L LS is also a great engine - the ported heads flow mad numbers and the intake is wonderful - but its got so much free torque with those cubic inches. it can beat the little GT350 5.2L pretty easily on torque and low end grunt. and if you cam it and put high flow headers on it, watch out its a pure race engine!! although NEVER to 8200rpm sustained.

PS> anyone price out a giant setrab oil cooler for the GT350 yet? 300F on the Road and Track test is stupid high, same issues with the Coyote and Road Runner engines - these aluminum engines are very efficient and tend to heat up the oil quickly. Big oil cooler is needed.
I wouldn't dyno mine if it wasn't required for NASA TT. I have noticed the oil heats up very quickly in the GT350 relative to the Boss. The oil took forever to heat up in the Boss. Since the rev limiter drops from 8250 to 8000 until the oil is 190*F, I wasn't sure it would ever get that high street driving....especially in the cool fall temps we have now. Surprisingly it gets there after a few minutes of driving. That makes me concerned it will run hot on track as well. I wonder if there's a way to supplement the factory oil cooler versus just replacing it with a larger one. It's located in a good spot not blocking the radiator. The only place I could see hanging another cooler would be in the upper or lower center grille in front of the radiator.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Is the GT 350 hood lower than the standard S550 hood? I have seen photos of Cobra Jet intake on S550 GTs. Also lowered engine mounts could help clearance. I bet there is power available in significant amounts on the intake and exhaust side. Not to mention weight savings. #S550bodyinwhitetrackcar

steveespo said:
Is the GT 350 hood lower than the standard S550 hood? I have seen photos of Cobra Jet intake on S550 GTs. Also lowered engine mounts could help clearance. I bet there is power available in significant amounts on the intake and exhaust side. Not to mention weight savings. #S550bodyinwhitetrackcar
From article in the Detroit Free Press:

The 2015 Mustang is already 28% stiffer than the previous model and the GT350 is even stiffer and ride height was lowered about two inches.

The bodywork from the windshield forward is unique, including a new aluminum hood that was lowered and sloped. The aluminum front fenders accommodate the wider front track and wider wheel arches.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
cloud9 said:
I wouldn't dyno mine if it wasn't required for NASA TT. I have noticed the oil heats up very quickly in the GT350 relative to the Boss. The oil took forever to heat up in the Boss. Since the rev limiter drops from 8250 to 8000 until the oil is 190*F, I wasn't sure it would ever get that high street driving....especially in the cool fall temps we have now. Surprisingly it gets there after a few minutes of driving. That makes me concerned it will run hot on track as well. I wonder if there's a way to supplement the factory oil cooler versus just replacing it with a larger one. It's located in a good spot not blocking the radiator. The only place I could see hanging another cooler would be in the upper or lower center grille in front of the radiator.

Does the GT-350 oil cooler system have a thermostat?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel