The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 dyno results - 98 octane versus 91 octane gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This opens up yet another whole new can of worms for NASA classing :p You're required to disclose:

Method of switching ECU Fuel/Timing Maps (if applicable):

Since we're not technically switching ECU programs, my guess is they'll get dyno results with 91 pump gas for the Certification Form ;)

cloud9 said:
This opens up yet another whole new can of worms for NASA classing :p You're required to disclose:

Since we're not technically switching ECU programs, my guess is they'll get dyno results with 91 pump gas for the Certification Form ;)

That's a great point. Would seem there will be those that get the car tuned for 98 and then have the dyno and Cert Form completed with 91.

LS110 said:
That's a great point. Would seem there will be those that get the car tuned for 98 and then have the dyno and Cert Form completed with 91.
The car's already tuned for at least 98 based on these results, but will run fine on 91 pump gas due to the ability to manage timing using the knock sensors. No tune swapping is necessary.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:

That's not going to help you if they have an on-site compliance dyno for any of your events (or if you plan on doing East Coast Nats)

ArizonaBOSS said:
That's not going to help you if they have an on-site compliance dyno for any of your events (or if you plan on doing East Coast Nats)
Agreed, but they've never had dynos at any of the regional events that I attend, but wish they did. For example, there was a Scion FRS at some of our events last year that classed himself at 250 rwhp, but was posting on Facebook about his 400 rwhp car..........

This is great news for cars wanting to maintain most of the stock trim. With 91 fuel you're caught in the 9ish no man's land. With race fuel you should be able to get closer to 8.0 without tearing the car apart.

Now we need some wheels to mount some sticky tires on. ;)

I turned in the 98 octane graphs, because this car is so heavy that this power level doesn't get close to the TT2 limit. I set my minimum weight with driver at 3700 lb, which is 200 lb lighter than I think it can ever get down to. That's to make sure scales error doesn't show me under weight. 3700/456 = 8.11 lb/hp, plus you get to add 0.5 for being over 3700 lb, so my adjusted lb/hp is 8.61. 8.00 is the minimum for TT2.

I went with the Cooltech bar, because they offset the harness bar back about 6". I like to slide the seat way back to get in and out of the car. The Cooltech bar allows re-installing the back seat. Not the lightest setup, but I wasn't worried about a few extra pounds.

LS587 said:
I turned in the 98 octane graphs, because this car is so heavy that this power level doesn't get close to the TT2 limit. I set my minimum weight with driver at 3700 lb, which is 200 lb lighter than I think it can ever get down to. That's to make sure scales error doesn't show me under weight. 3700/456 = 8.11 lb/hp, plus you get to add 0.5 for being over 3700 lb, so my adjusted lb/hp is 8.61. 8.00 is the minimum for TT2.
It looks like we have to find more ponies to get to 8.0 as getting 200 lbs out is probably not possible without gutting the interior.

My reference to the can of worms is more general in nature. As more cars have this ability it makes governing hp in classing more difficult.

TMO Supporting Vendors