The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Engine Mods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are members doing to the GT350's to bump up the power a bit? It seems the usual suspects are a bit limited at this time, Exhaust, Intake and Tune. Kooks and a few others are making headers but I haven't seen any shorty headers yet. I know shorty headers only add about half what LT headers add but living in CA I'm not going to remove the cats due to passing emissions.

Also wasn't a larger throttle body in the works? Seems I was something about a 92mm or 100mm TB from someone. @BigTaco did you see any shorty headers or intake mods at SEMA in 2016?

I'm sure AED @Shaun@AED has a killer tune for the GT350.

These JBA shorty headers don't appear to have made it to market.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/ford-shelby-gt350-gt350r/2015-2017-shelby-gt350-ford/exhaust/headers-1/shorty-1/jba-1

jba-1685sjs.jpg

Has anyone installed a CF driveshaft?

http://www.lethalperformance.com/driveshaft-shop-2015-2017-shelby-gt350-1000hp-carbon-fiber-drive-shaft.html

dss-fdsh48-c.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I too went with the shorty header option on my S197 Boss 302 for the same reasons. Very happy with the shorty header install and performance gains. I run FP TracKey and didn't want to give it up with Aftermarket tunes. Also the headers changed the personallity so to speak of the Boss 302 U-Code engine.

As for the 1 piece DS? Always a top 5 list performance mod, iMO.

302 Hi Pro

In all honesty I wouldn't change the stock headers to aftermarket shorty headers. If I lived in a strict EPA state I would add borla catcback, tune, reduce rotating mass, and put the car on a diet. Don't get me wrong I love my ARH long tubes and catless x pipe, but changing the oem headers to aftermarket shortys is not worth it.
With ARH long tubes,
Catless x pipe,
Lund tune for 100 octane race fuel I pulled 536 rwhp. Using stock cai.
I've also dropped nearly 180 pounds from my car and will drop a few more from it soon.

Good luck on the throttle body!
That's a unicorn. I've been chewing FP ear on that for months. Not gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Forgeline wheels
- Pilot sport cup 2
- R rsd and removed rear seat
hardware and seat belts.
- ARH long tubes, catless x pipe.
- DSS carbon drive shaft
- Braille i34C battery
- I replaced all the rubber suspension bushings with bearings. The 2 stock front control arm bushings weigh over 2 pounds each, the cortex front control arm bearings weigh 1 pound each.
The stock rear control arm bearings weigh 2 pounds each also. The CorteX's weigh 1 pound each.

The stock IRS and differential rubber bushings weigh 2 pounds each, the Ford performance IRS cradle and differential aluminum bushings weigh less than a pound each.
With all the oem rubber bushing weights total 24 pounds.
The cortex and FP total are 8 pounds for everything. Saving 16 pounds.

If I decide to go with the Recaro Profi spa carbon fiber seats, that will drop another 40+ pounds.

I did not see any shorty headers for Voodoo motors. The usual players had long tubes and x pipes. I remember that Kooks had an entire system with their green cats; those would allow you to keep factory calibration and avoid CELs. This option would probably pass a CA emissions test but fail visual if the tester looked hard enough.

I just realized after reading this that I never forwarded you the Spicer Customer service reps info. They were interested in developing a one piece aluminum drive shaft for GT350 applications. Ping me on my cell on Monday and I'll forward you a picture of his business card. It's not Carbon fiber, but it would make a significant difference and "free up" some ponies.

VoodooBOSS said:
I've looked at those seats before and they are nice. Are you using the stock mufflers?

I have the stock mufflers on it now. But I also have the prototype ARH mufflers and prototype borla mufflers.

If you really want to cut weight from the seats, technocraft has these 6 pound carbon fiber seats.

https://tecnocraft.com/products/tecnocraft-t3-dry-carbon-fiber-seat

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
8250RPM said:
I agree. That's why I use Sunoco 260GT 100 octane.

How much do you pay for 100 octane?
Its around 8 bucks a gallon here, and significantly more at the track.
I usually pay 2.50/gal or so for e85 and with the savings in fuel cost I can buy a warehouse full of fuel jugs to bring to the track.
I have a 55 gal drum, a 25 gal drum and 8 fuel jugs. When the price gets closer to 2.00/gal I go fill up.
Then I just pump from my own personal gas station here in my shop as needed.
The real bonus is that it runs way cooler than any gasoline-racing
or not-so you can tune much more aggressively.
On my blower car it's a difference of more than 100 hp so it's a no brainer for me.
N/A cars will benefit from the cooling nature of e85 too, although not nearly as much, however the costs savings do still add up.

The reasons why I don't want to use e85 in my car are...
1) I live in a small rural town, we have E85 available, but I have a strong doubt it gets sold much and I do not want old or stale e85. I know how to and know I can test it before filling up, but I'd rather skip the hassle.

2) as little as I get to drive my car, I don't want the E85 sitting in my tank and going bad.

3) I get a 55 gallon drum of Sunoco 260GT for $340 without a drum deposit. With a drum deposit it's $320.
Plus I use it in my 2016 Norton Commando 961 air cooled motorcycle.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
8250RPM said:
The reasons why I don't want to use e85 in my car are...
1) I live in a small rural town, we have E85 available, but I have a strong doubt it gets sold much and I do not want old or stale e85. I know how to and know I can test it before filling up, but I'd rather skip the hassle.

2) as little as I get to drive my car, I don't want the E85 sitting in my tank and going bad.

3) I get a 55 gallon drum of Sunoco 260GT for $340 without a drum deposit. With a drum deposit it's $320.
Plus I use it in my 2016 Norton Commando 961 air cooled motorcycle.

e85 is awesome stuff, but it's not for everyone. ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
8250RPM said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. I have a F150 I use it in when I take it to the track.

I know you're not, I'm just pointing out the benefits for those whom it might make sense for.
In my case I had to run 106 octane @ 16.75 a gallon and after one track day I said "Oh, HELL no"....LOL.

TMO Supporting Vendors