The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Engine Mods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
8250RPM said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. I have a F150 I use it in when I take it to the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Eco Boost Tremor now, but my last truck was a flex fuel F 150 too.
It was nice that I could use the same fuel in both.
If I got a load of fuel that I didn't think was quite up to par I just burned it up in the truck. :)

8250RPM said:
In all honesty I wouldn't change the stock headers to aftermarket shorty headers. If I lived in a strict EPA state I would add borla catcback, tune, reduce rotating mass, and put the car on a diet. Don't get me wrong I love my ARH long tubes and catless x pipe, but changing the oem headers to aftermarket shortys is not worth it.
With ARH long tubes,
Catless x pipe,
Lund tune for 100 octane race fuel I pulled 536 rwhp. Using stock cai.
I've also dropped nearly 180 pounds from my car and will drop a few more from it soon.

Good luck on the throttle body!
That's a unicorn. I've been chewing FP ear on that for months. Not gonna happen.

I agreed about the headers. I would either do long tubes or leave the factory shorty headers. I would ask Shaun / AED if they have had success with long tubes and cats not throwing codes and the emissions monitors completing. Other than that, a cat back, driveshaft, and lighter wheels to loose weight.

I have a bone stock 2016 short bed regular cab f-150 2.7 ecoboost with 500 miles on it, last summer I ripped off a 13.71@100 mph at my local 1/4. It also rips off 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. It's 100% stock. I couldn't believe it. My 2013 f150 5.0 is slower lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
8250RPM said:
Lol. Yeah that adds up quickly. Not sure why my last post listed twice. Sorry

I had a 2011 short bed reg cab 5.0 and my 3.5 EB way out tows it. Never ran either at the track but I'm sure it's faster too. Took a while to get used to the turbo v6 after being a v8 guy for so long but so far I can't complain about the performance.

I agree completely. I love my 2013 fx2 5.0 it's a runner and comfortable. But my 2016 is lighter, and faster with nearly 1/2 the displacement.
It's amazing how weight reduction improves everything. I noticed a huge advantage on my GT350 when I reduced the weight. Especially the wheels. Only downside with weight reduction is it's not always free lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
bpracer said:
JBA make shorty headers for the GT350.
I'd be surprised if they made any more power than stock.....

bpracer said:
JBA make shorty headers for the GT350.
Yes they show them but I can't find any info on installs or a set for sale. Maybe they aren't available yet.

DFW, TX
VoodooBOSS said:
Yes they show them but I can't find any info on installs or a set for sale. Maybe they aren't available yet.

I have friends that know Jay Bittle (...and I raced against his '68 302 Tunnel Port A/S Mustang a few times) if could ask them to enquire from him if you wish.

I know for those in CA or other similar states it may not be an option but it is an easy swap with the Lethal Perf off-road mid pipes v2. It is quite loud (still have the resonators)in sport/track mode so tracks with decibel restrictions may be an issue although I have seen a recent plug solution to force the exhaust through the muffler such as normal mode. I am also running a Lund tune on race gas (101 octane - $7.49 last I was at the pump). No dyno numbers but other similar setups/dynos tell me I am at 500ish at the wheels. Very noticeable gain especially mid range. Still waiting to hear more feedback on the CF driveshaft before I make that jump.

cj350 said:
It is quite loud (still have the resonators)in sport/track mode so tracks with decibel restrictions may be an issue although I have seen a recent plug solution to force the exhaust through the muffler such as normal mode.
Tell us more about this? This would be a nice solution for those of us driving and sound restriction tracks like Laguna Seca.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Was the rumor of Ford producing some type of "trackkey" style tune for the GT350 just a rumor? There are a few features I wish they would ditch like the way it holds the RPM for a second after you lift off. The trackkey option for the Boss was awesome, I wish they would do that for the 350.

Adam

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel