The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Ford Oil Filter Cap Wrench

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlqx

Mustangless
I changed my oil today with the provided Ford cap wrench that all the pre-2017 build date owners are getting. Small pro-tip on using it.. the head on it is for a 22mm 6-point socket. If you don't have a shallow 22mm 3/8" drive socket (this is an odd size) with a small 3/8" torque wrench, you should get them to use it. If you try to use adapters to fit a 1/2" drive 22mm socket on it, you'll run out of room against the subframe. Same goes if you try to use it from the side instead of through the access door. You can add a wobble up next to the cap wrench to get it from the side, but then you're not accurately measuring the torque. So basically, you do need a pretty specific combination to appropriately use it.

In the V6L
Interesting. I guess you can use on open end wrench to remove the filter and snug up the new one, but you still need a torque wrench to finish the job. Maybe a 22mm crowfoot socket would work. With an offset like the crowfoot, you get accurate torque readings if the axis of the socket is across the axis of the wrench handle - the distance from the handle to the bolt head is the same as it would be if you were using a regular socket.

I'm lucky - I happen to have the same AST M0219 wrench as Ford is sending out that I bought years ago and it has a 3/8" square drive socket in the center of the top. It snaps directly onto my 3/8" torque wrench and it all fits just fine.

Last edited:
The DEDC wrench I purchased works fine and fits every bit as tight as the Ford wrench.

IMG_0819.JPGIMG_0820.JPG

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel