The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Front Brake Pad Replacement Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precipitation hardened 17-4 stainless alloy is an excellent choice in an application requiring strength while providing excellent anti-corrosion properties. A number of brake hardware manufacturers use the alloy in big brake kits. It typically isn't used by the OEM's due to cost. If there is any caveat to using it I'd say that you have to be aware of galling. If you nick or damage the threads during service you can lock up the nut when reinstalling so you have to be careful. Caliperfexion kits come with ARP's thread lubricant and it is highly recommended that it be used along with it's commensurate reduction in torque when installing (torque numbers are in the instructions).

Useful life...as with any critical fasteners used in race applications, take care of them and they'll take care of you. Never install or remove the nuts when the brakes are too hot to touch by hand. Never use any impact guns for final torque. Always keep the threads free of debris and lightly lubricated, as mentioned. Hand torque. Used strictly in a race environment and service replacement time is going to depend on a number of variables that I can't predict. I'll say this, when I see IMSA GT4 Mustang teams using impact guns on the brake system with stainless studs - I cringe.

The CT10 4340 studs have a slightly higher tensile strength than stainless and may be a better answer for someone that tends to impart abuse on hardware across the board. You can gall up most any fastener if you try hard enough but the propensity is reduced over that of a typical stainless alloy, especially when hot. Keep them clean, lightly lubricated, don't under or over torque and the studs can last the life of the vehicle.

And my apologies for not answering anything promptly as I haven't been here in a long time and have had some interesting health challenges posed as of late. The plan is to stick around for a bit and I hope it works out that way.:)

TMO Supporting Vendors