The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Front Camber Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had bought a set of MM camber plates that I was planning to install. However it turns out that there's an alternative. Ford sells service bolts that are smooth and a slightly smaller diameter than the splined OE bolts:

IMG_2120_zpscyrnj1hr.jpg

I used a micrometer to measure them today -- the service bolt is 0.4mm smaller.

Here are the part numbers. Bolt: W715295-S439 Nut: W520216-S441

@cloud9

The service nut is Nylock, unlike the OE nut

I plan to install once I've finished the 1,000 mile Break-in -- 185 miles to go!

In the V6L
You'll probably get lots of advice, but the actual answer is "it depends". If you're going to run the extremely stiff OEM CF rims, then you'll need less camber than you'll need if you throw on a set of lightweight alloy rims. If you're going CF, then start around the settings that Ford puts in the owner's supplement (6.92* front caster, -1.75*F/-1.25*R camber, 0.06*F/0.3* toe-in) and tune from there based on tire temps.

Note that the MPSC2's have different tread rubber on the inside and the outside - the outside wears faster, even when the setup is perfect.

In the V6L
I think it's safe to say that you'll need more camber, but I don't know how much. I'm sure someone on this forum knows and will chime in. Congratulations on the new car, by the way!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bay Area, CA
Not to wake a sleeping dog......but.

What alignment settings are folks using?

The 350R is coming with Ford caster camber plates. Dealer will be installing. Just need the specs.
I bought vorshlag camber plates through a member here and installed the 350R springs on my car and went straight to 3° of camber. I'm not sure if it's better than stock since I took my car from stock everything to SV501's on cup 2's, R springs, on camber plates. I've only done about 8 Track days so far and the first time i took the car to Laguna Seca my buddy clocked me at 1:45. Thunderhill east with bypass was 2:07 via my AIM solo. These are the only metrics I can present given my lack of experience on the track to date.

That said - i'm thinking of dialing back the camber to 2° and seeing if that makes a difference at thunderhill. If there's anything to be said - right now i'm turning in very hard and the car just plants it's-self in the turns. I linked my thunderhill video if you want to see. Just note - the 2:07 lap is not in the footage and right after i did a 2:07 lap i pushed harder and went off-roading, haha.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Can you take tire temps at the track? Temps across the tire should give you a good indication of how much camber to run.
I had the dealer set front camber at 2.5 with the factory "R" camber plates. Its worked well for me so far.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bay Area, CA
Can you take tire temps at the track? Temps across the tire should give you a good indication of how much camber to run.
I had the dealer set front camber at 2.5 with the factory "R" camber plates. Its worked well for me so far.
last time I took tire temps it was within 10-15 degrees across the tire i believe.
32 PSI hot in all 4 tires.

That's good to hear. So far I haven't met another 350 owner running 3° which is why i was thinking of going down. I have the Vorshlag plates on my car.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have considered going up in Camber. I depends upon the track. One I run on wears the fronts and another the back. I get good wear across the tire with the outside cording first with the center and inside not too far behind.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bay Area, CA
I'd be curious to see what you think when going up in Camber. Good to know - I haven't made it to the cords on any tires yet, but I can say i'm getting even treadwear across all tires right now. I'm running stock setup in the rear. I've been to laguna, Sonoma and thunderhill so far.

I have considered going up in Camber. I depends upon the track. One I run on wears the fronts and another the back. I get good wear across the tire with the outside cording first with the center and inside not too far behind.
Are yiu putting cup 2’s on the apex’s?

if you have vorshlags, and without cutting the strut tower, the max i was getting was -2.5 camber. The car needed a lot more.

now im running -3.7 up front and -2.3 rear and wears perfect

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Are yiu putting cup 2’s on the apex’s?

if you have vorshlags, and without cutting the strut tower, the max i was getting was -2.5 camber. The car needed a lot more.

now im running -3.7 up front and -2.3 rear and wears perfect
I just saw this... So if I presently max out at 2.2 with my BMR CP, I cannot expect to get to 3 degrees by simply changing over to Vorshlag CP. Anything over 2.5 degrees REQUIRES strut tower cutting with 305mm+ front tires?

I just saw this... So if I presently max out at 2.2 with my BMR CP, I cannot expect to get to 3 degrees by simply changing over to Vorshlag CP. Anything over 2.5 degrees REQUIRES strut tower cutting with 305mm+ front tires?

not if you do the spl lower control arms and tension rods i can do 3.0

i was able to acheive -2.5 with the vorshlags on stock springs struts without cutting the strut towers….

right now im at -4.1

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Max neg camber achievable also depends largely (but not entirely) on ride height.

I've seen S550s achieve -3 with camber plates on medium-to-low RH without massacring strut tops. I run Steeda DR springs+MM plates and rose jointed front LCAs plus tension arms...not a slammed setup. -3 is easily achievable but the thing likes -2.5ish best...SC2s and 3Rs. Short, technical tracks, fast, flowing tracks...it's still happy.

Tire wear across the contact patch also is heavily dependent on the way that one sets the wheel...loads the tire on entry. Less camber (and better feel, braking and front grip center-off) won't kill the tire if you back up the entry, load it humanely (get it turned smartly but kindly)...and get back to the gas asap.

TMO Supporting Vendors