The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Front Grille Opening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
The OEM tune has headroom to handle more Mass Air Flow than the nominal maximum; it just increases fuel to match. A tune is only needed if you change something that alters the calibration of the MAF sensor (like a tubing diameter change) or that increases flow enough to push it out of range (like FI). While opening up the grill might provide cooler air to the intake, it won't change the actual pressure at the entrance to the inlet horn by much, so the airflow won't change by much either. In fact, there's a risk that opening it up will create turbulence in that zone, which could reduce airflow. Unlikely though.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just not sure what it's going to accomplish without adding a tune.

The mod itself will likely provide nothing either way. As JAJ points out, there is more potential for adversely altering the velocity coming through the stock intake location at the side of the 'fang'. I wouldn't recommend making this modification.

At low speeds, I see the mod taking away from the available air/pressure for cooling. And at high speeds, the air from between the 'fangs' is available to 'spill' into the stock location anyway.

Meanwhile here's my effort to reduce front lift and possibly improve cooling:

IMG_4536.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
It would be interesting to understand why the FP design team didn't install a hood trailing edge underside rear seal on the (essentially) FP350S OEM hood...:confused:

Grant 302

It would be interesting to understand why the FP design team didn't install a hood trailing edge underside rear seal on the (essentially) FP350S OEM hood...:confused:

First guess would be because they pulled the block-off plate and added a splitter. I'm just saying to test it first with wool tufts and video first. Especially if you're keeping the radiator block off.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Agree....they did pull most of the block-off plate. Hard to see from internet pics.

I'd expect a ton of underhood pressurization w/o the plate and with a splitter. But they did not open up the venting in OEM hood.

It would be cool to know what's on their "worry list" for keeping the thing alive at VIR or Sebring in August

It may be worth talking with velossa tech to see if the will make a gt350 bellmouth like they go for the gt's.
0df1e44a79f20c5d25289c2f15ceea70.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the grill opening may be the limiter on the GT350 not the actual duct to the air filter. But I checked out the site and those guys have seen measurable results on GTs with that.

What advantage does it have over the stock one?
On the gt it does a better job of directing the air from the grille opening into the airbox. I don't know how well the stock gt350 piece seals up to the grille, but on the GT's this piece with a little weather stripping makes a true ram air system.

It may be worth talking with velossa tech to see if the will make a gt350 bellmouth like they go for the gt's.
0df1e44a79f20c5d25289c2f15ceea70.jpg

After viewing all info. on the Velossa Tech site regarding their Big Mouth Ram Air Duct I'm curious. So, I've emailed back & forth w/ Dan Bleeker, co. President @ Velossa Tech. He tells me that they may be looking into a Big Mouth application for the GT350 , but not for 2-3 mo
as they are working through a production backlog after recent hurricanes.
So, maybe another option will become avail.
to us. .:)

The GT4 car has no relevance here. It was homologated with the grille plate you see and cannot be altered. Furthermore, the GT4 car uses the more restrictive, closed intake tract from the Mustang GT.

Lighten up Francis. My response wasn't intended to appeal to your emotional side but was merely pointing out that in the context of your post that the GT4 is using a completely different intake tract behind a stock GT350R grille. Changes made to the tract were to limit or restrict power if anything as opposed to teams being given the freedom to make changes in search of more power.

So did this mod result in any change in IAT? At 60 mph my IAT is 10-11 degrees above ambient. On my 2013 Boss at the same speed the IAT was actually 1 degree below the ambient readout. That was with a C&L CAI.

Blah, blah, blah. Yes there is additional venting of the hood on the upcoming GT500. I still disagree with some of what has been said (as these intake tract systems don't really leak) in this thread. I think Ford would have too. Looky here...

z-M.jpg

Grant 302

It's like cutting a hole in the side of a velocity stack. Or adding a funnel on top a bell mouth. I don't see the point.

I think Ford would have too.

Yeah, I see that Ford made a single intake inlet, not one divided by the 'fang' in that pic. Makes sense to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors