The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Front Grille Opening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With a supercharger the GT500 will need more air flow than the GT350.

DFW, TX
I will be playing around with this in the future, well, because I can. A cheap deal off ebay bought a new upper grille on to which somebody installed a re-pop R badge. Not worried about extra hood lift due to any additional under hood pressure on the intake tract because I'll have have some aerocatch hood pins.

Also installing the FP front tow hook. Since I have to cut it up for that, why not do this.

BTW, I bought a spare, used (cheap!) GT350 hood as well, so few original parts will be sacrificed for this.

Now I just have to find time to do this.

DFW, TX
bpracer - did you get this done? any pics? what were your results?

Thanks
Jack
Just now getting back to this. Plus, it's been too hot in Texas for this stuff... I've been waiting for my dealer to get the kit to repair the rear bumper cover gap. They did that work this week.

Aligning the hood with the GT4 vent and cutting the holes for the hood latches now. If that goes well, I'll pull the front bumper off and do the grill and tow hook install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DFW, TX
What you can't tell until you take the grill off is that the air intake is partially open to to the center radiator opening. I blocked that part off.

In reality this may not do much, but can't hurt.
4d67ce93aacb75f59b291002d109ff99.jpg
f9c9b29e0d91472dafef4d2e49d27768.jpg
83f263d7eb18074df38d7a62d577cb3d.jpg

DFW, TX
I believe that opening into the CAI is going to cause you even more hood lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not with hood pins...

I also have another air filter assembly that I may modify the top to put on a separate lexan lid. I need to ask Treynor for a picture of his GT4 to see how Multimatic did his one off setup. I would only require that if I added the two side GT4 hood vents, as they uncover the air cleaner. But since I haven't won the lottery, there will probably not be any more GT4 parts in my future.
9b6046b852e75e448098b1447db5cbb9.jpg

Not with hood pins...

I also have another air filter assembly that I may modify the top to put on a separate lexan lid. I need to ask Treynor for a picture of his GT4 to see how Multimatic did his one off setup. I would only require that if I added the two side GT4 hood vents, as they uncover the air cleaner. But since I haven't won the lottery, there will probably not be any more GT4 parts in my future.

Sorry. I wasn’t aware you had pins. I need to pay attention better lol. Sorry.

DFW, TX
Not a problem. It's a good point to bring up for others without hood pins. I thought about this as I wasn't sure I would add pins when I did the hood vent mod.

If it did cause problems, that would mean the modification actually served a purpose!
Sorry. I wasn’t aware you had pins. I need to pay attention better lol. Sorry.

Not with hood pins...

What hood is that? can you add more pictures please?

Thanks
Jack

Monaca Pa
Not with hood pins...

This is how I did my GT350 CAI with lexan.
1035E2E3-B426-434E-B950-414116D37A26.jpeg

bpracer,what did you use to cut the plate? do you have any measurements of the size and location?

Were did you get the GT4 vent?

Thanks
Jack

DFW, TX
bpracer,what did you use to cut the plate? do you have any measurements of the size and location?

Were did you get the GT4 vent?

Thanks
Jack
By plate, if you mean the air filter cover then that is jeffv8's mod.

If you mean the hole for the vent, I just had to sneak up on it. The vent only fits in one spot as it follows the lip of the center ridges of the hood. I used an over sized Dremel tool with about a 2" cut off wheel.

The GT4 vent came via Kohr Motorsports from Multimatic. It's not something they have in stock typically. The FP350S vent will probably be more cost effective whenever it becomes available, but the GT4 vents looks better in my biased opinion. However, the GT4 piece is expensive. A new GT500 hood might also be a better way to go, but who knows when that thing will appear.

By plate, if you mean the air filter cover then that is jeffv8's mod.

If you mean the hole for the vent, I just had to sneak up on it. The vent only fits in one spot as it follows the lip of the center ridges of the hood. I used an over sized Dremel tool with about a 2" cut off wheel.

The GT4 vent came via Kohr Motorsports from Multimatic. It's not something they have in stock typically. The FP350S vent will probably be more cost effective whenever it becomes available, but the GT4 vents looks better in my biased opinion. However, the GT4 piece is expensive. A new GT500 hood might also be a better way to go, but who knows when that thing will appear.

sorry I was talking about the grill plate. I should of said that - sorry.

thanks
Jack

TMO Supporting Vendors